cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6D Mark ii, release shutter without lens option?

chriswilloughby
Apprentice

Hi, 

I want to use an old Nikon lens with my camera body for stop motion animation. 

I get err 1, about faulty communication between the body and the Nikon lens. 

I don't need communication between the lenses, and was planning to cover the Nikon sensors with electrical tape and set the camera body to 'release shutter without lens' in the custom function III tab in the the Canon 6D Mark ii. 

I can't find that exact option in my camera but perhaps the other options achieve the same thing, for example the AF OFF function or the AE hold? 

Any advice would be welcome, thankyou for your time. 

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

There is no such menu option in Canon DSLRs.  I suggest you stop using gear that creates error messages.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Wadizzle is correct.

Maybe he is confusing lens with card, as this is the only "release the shutter" without something option. 

I also have to agree about using compatible gear.

Using lenses designed for your body is one thing.  (Tamron, Sigma, Tokina, Fuji, Samyang, Zeiss, etc)

Using a Nikon lens on a Canon body with ANY adapter should be avoided.  Nikon nor Canon ever expected their gear to be used together.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

"Nikon nor Canon ever expected their gear to be used together."

They may never have envisioned it but there is an adapter to mount almost any lens to any other body. The real question is why does someone, anybody, want to use a Nikon lens on a Canon body?  It is usually the other way around. Canon lenses on a Nikon body. I see no value to using the Nikon 50mil on the Canon camera so I am also a, don't do it vote.

The reason is Canon lenses are 'generally' better but almost never worse than Nikon lenses. Also, Canon lenses are usually less expensive.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

@chriswilloughby wrote:

Hi, 

I want to use an old Nikon lens with my camera body for stop motion animation. 

I get err 1, about faulty communication between the body and the Nikon lens............................ 

Which Nikon lens are you using and which adapter are you using? 

Mike Sowsun

It's an FT series lens Nikon, and a generic adaptor. 

The reason for the lens is I need manual aperture because, as I understand it, Canon lenses have auto exposure which creates flicker in animation. 

Thanks for all the feedback. 

I have never heard of a FT series lens. Do you mean an F mount lens from a Nikkormat FT camera?

Can you show us a photo of the lens and adapter? 

Canon auto exposure lenses don't create or cause flicker. Have you tried using a Canon EF lens? 

A simple Nikon to Canon adapter should have no electrical contacts and no communication with the camera. I can't think of any reason why you should get an Error 1 with a simple adapter. 

Mike Sowsun

20201216_143803.jpg20201216_143726.jpg

Your adapter has electrical contacts on it for an AF confirm chip.  Some AF confirm chips will cause errors with some Canon DSLRs. That is probably causing the error.

Either tape over the contacts or remove the AF confirm chip, and I bet the error goes away. 

Mike Sowsun

Thanks mate. I removed that sensor and now it works. In hindsight the problem was kinda dumb but that's why I came to the site, to learn.
Announcements