cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6D Mark II will not trigger the flash when remotely connected and in Live View

Alan-Major
Apprentice

I am remotely controlling a Canon 6D II from my iPhone remote app (version 2.2.10.6 from Canon).

The camera is in Manual mode with a flash on the hot shoe.

When Not in Live View the flash will trigger when I click the shutter control on the iPhone app.

When in Live View the camera will take a pcture but will Not trigger the flash.

How do I operate in remote Live View and still use the flash?

Thanks,

AW

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Alan-Major wrote:

I am remotely controlling a Canon 6D II from my iPhone remote app (version 2.2.10.6 from Canon).

The camera is in Manual mode with a flash on the hot shoe.

When Not in Live View the flash will trigger when I click the shutter control on the iPhone app.

When in Live View the camera will take a pcture but will Not trigger the flash.

How do I operate in remote Live View and still use the flash?

Thanks,

AW

Do you have “Exp.Sim”, exposure simulation, enabled for Live View?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I did some additional testing and found that the flash does not trigger at all when in Live View mode - even wihout using my iPhone remote app.

I am using a Canon 6D II in Manual mode with a YN560 IV flash.

When in Live View I do see Exp.SiM display on the LCD.

When I exit Live Mode the flash works as expected.

Go into the menus and turn off “Exp.Sim”.  It could also be an issue with your non-Canon flash.

Fix:

- Enter live view

- Go to menu

- Red -> 5 tab (will not appears not in live view mode)

- Silent shot or smg. (last option in 5th menu tab)

- turn it off

Tested with YN560 IV Li + YN560TX

👏  Worked!

Tim
Authority

Hello Alan-Major, 

As others have suggested there may be issues with the third party flash properly communicating with your camera.  I would recommend trying a first party Canon EX Series Speedlite on your camera to properly troubleshoot.  Until the third party flash is taken out of the mix it would be difficult to troubleshoot the issue effectively. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

davefunseeka
Apprentice

I just purchased a Canon 6D Mark ii and am having the same difficulty. I am not finding a menu option to disable ExpSim. How did you fix this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

@davefunseeka wrote:

I just purchased a Canon 6D Mark ii and am having the same difficulty. I am not finding a menu option to disable ExpSim. How did you fix this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

The Live View Menu is the 5th "Red Camera" menu.  It does not appear until you switch the camera to Live View mode. 

Let's leave remote shooting out of the equation for the moment.  The camera itself can fire a Canon Speedlite in Live View mode.  It does not seem to matter if Exp.Sim. Is set or not.  It does not seem to matter which "Silent LV Shooting" mode setting is selected, either.

Announcements