cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6D MK2 shooting movies via WIFI and tablet

ElliottandNolan
Contributor

I'm considering one of these cameras for shooting video, I only need HD. My question is about controlling the camera from a tablet using the Canon app. Can you see a live view of the movie being shot and can you control focus points etc? I've researched this on Google, Canon.com and YouTube and not been able to find out anything.

Thanks for any help
11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
I do not think you can control video or focusing on a remote screen.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:
I do not think you can control video or focusing on a remote screen.

Forgive me asking for clarification but have you actually tried it with a 6D MK2? The reason I ask is you say you 'think' it doesn't work but I need to know for sure one way or the  other.

Tne 6D MK2 makes a lot of sense to me as I already have a lot of Canon gear, but if I can't control the video when the camera is out of reach then I will have to look elsewhere.

Why trust a bunch of dogs on the internet? Rent one and find out for yourself.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Internet,_nobody_knows_you%27re_a_dog

@kvbarkley wrote:

Why trust a bunch of dogs on the internet? Rent one and find out for yourself.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Internet,_nobody_knows_you%27re_a_dog

Don’t bother wasting your time with a rental.  Save your money.  Touch screen focusing only works with the local LCD screen.  End of story.  You cannot control video with the EOS Utility across Wi-Fi, either.  Using a USB cable won’t fix it, either.  

The EOS Utility is designed for remotely triggering the shutter for capturing stills, not video.  There is no accommodation in the EOS Utility for “pushing” the video record start/stop button.  None.  The EOS Utility cannot do video, not at all.

lly3988
Rising Star

Not sure about Canon APP. I did play with DSLR controller app on android and it works.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Okay. You cannot use a remote monitor for touch screen focusing on any Canon DSLR using the EOS Utility. Better?

Tim
Authority

Hello Elliottand Nolan, 

These features are not supported with the EOS 6D Mark II.  We regret any inconvenience this may cause you. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I wonder if maybe it varies depending on which country?

There's a guy on an English forum that says it works, and there's this German video 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXzVGQ4qulY

where at 9.44 there's certainly a Rec Start button but unfortunately I don't speak German to know what is being said.

Unfortunately there is no rental company accessible to me that rents the 6DMK2

The devil is in the details.

I do not need to speak German to notice that she is using a smart phone, not a tablet.  She does not appear to be using the EOS Utility, either.  You asked about using a tablet and the EOS Utility over Wi-Fi.  What was the English guy using?

If you stop and think about it, really think about it, you will quickly realize why the EOS Utility is not supported in video mode.  In order to put the camera into Video Mode, you must turn a switch or knob on the camera.  This cannot be done remotely via USB or Wi-Fi.

Announcements