cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6D Help

jasmync
Contributor

D619BDA3-AA47-48A3-8B20-568B5EBA1C33.jpeg21C6F415-665D-45D3-8AEA-C15BE3FFB135.jpegHello,
I’m currently studying my diploma in photography and I’m a little bit confused. On the tutorial, his exposure indicator has a line under it saying wether it under exposed or over exposed. I can’t seem to bring that up on my camera what ever I try. HEs using a canon 7d and I’m using a canon 6D. Could someone please help as to why my camera is not indicting over and under exposure? I have attached photos of my camera and the tutorial to show what I’m taking about. Thanks 😊

16 REPLIES 16

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Your Photos did not come through.

Are you in Manual mode?

Depending on the Aperture/shutter/ISO you could be so far off that the indicator is off scale.

Just added the photos and yes in manual mode 😊

@jasmync wrote:

Just added the photos and yes in manual mode 😊

On the 7D at least, what you're looking at (in the small LCD window) is the exposure compensation setting, a manual override of the automatically generated exposure. Because exposure compensation isn't available in manual mode (it's considered redundant, since you're already setting the exposure manually), the marker isn't displayed.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

On my T6S, that also shows the exposure when in manual mode.

@kvbarkley wrote:

I didn't mean that it doesn't display the speed and aperture, just that in manual mode it doesn't show the mark that indicates the exposure compensation setting. I believe it's that mark that the OP was concerned that he didn't see.

I don't know, because I've never used one, but I suppose it's also possible that the T6S allows exposure compensation even in manual mode. You may recall that there was once a debate in the forum over whether Canon's cameras should allow it. But on my 7D the mark goes away when the camera is in manual mode.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

I didn't mean that it doesn't display the speed and aperture, just that in manual mode it doesn't show the mark that indicates the exposure compensation setting. I believe it's that mark that the OP was concerned that he didn't see.

I don't know, because I've never used one, but I suppose it's also possible that the T6S allows exposure correction even in manual mode. You may recall that there was once a debate in the forum over whether Canon's cameras should allow it. But on my 7D the mark goes away when the camera is in manual mode.

I don't have the 6D but on both of my 5D3 and 7D2, the scale triple-duties as the exposure indicator, exposure compensation and the bracketing scale.  Even in M mode, the exposure indicator will work showing whether your exposure setting is right on (in the middle), too dark (left) or too bright (right).  You need to press the shutter speed or the AF-On button to activate it.  Not sure which functions the OP was thinking of.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

I played around with the iso and aperture etc but still never came up

Did you press the shutter button half-way?

diverhank
Authority

Yes try pressing the shutter button half way or the AF On button.  The indication will show when activated, not all the time.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
Announcements