cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 60d keeps shutting itself off!!

gregoriodavila
Contributor
I'm having a major issue with my Canon 60d and I'm hoping you can help me.

I'm shooting a documentary with many interviews. This **bleep** camera keeps shutting off. Not the 12 min shut off during video, it just keeps shutting off.

I read on blogs about the SD card not keeping up. I've used two cards: ScanDisk 32 mb class 10, and Transcend 32 mb class 10 and had the same issue. I'm shooting 1920x1080 24fps.

I'm thinking maybe the camera is getting hot? It will initially record fine for about 20 min's then shut off. Recoding again it shuts off after about 7 min. then 5 min, then 3 then continues at a lower and lower recording time until it shuts off around 30 seconds into recording.

I have found nothing online that will solve this problem.

I am interviewing many well know figures who have been around a long time and have great notoriety, and it's extremely embarrassing  to have this happening. Not to mention not getting the information I need for the movie because of camera issues.

Please help!!!

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Much gratitude,
32 REPLIES 32

@cale_kat wrote:

TCampbell writes, "...put the camera in front of an AC vent..."

Please, OP, do not do this! It is a recipe for disaster because cooling the outside of the camera could lead to condensation internally. This is very bad advice.

AC is very dry air (condensation collects on the evaporator coils and drips off ... drying the air.)  We deliberately blow AC through the racks in datacenters.  No condensation problems.

If you left the camera in the refridgerator or freezer and THEN walked in to a an environment with warm, moist air... that would be a problem.  Warm moist air wants to condense on cold surfaces.  Cold air does not want to condense on warm surfaces (and the sensor WILL be warm.)

For astro-imaging... we actually have chillers on the cameras (physically cold sensors result in much lower noise levels.   The coolers will typically drop the sensor temps by about 25-40ºC depending on the imaging camera.)  When we're done with those cameras, however, we don't just switch them off.  We switch off the cooler but leave the fan running for about 5 minutes to break them back up to ambient temps.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

AC is dry air but that doesn't mean that the air inside the camera has adjusted to the ambient temperature or humidty. Exposing the camera to rapid temperature changes is explicitly warned against in my Canon Instruction Manual. They mention moving from cold to warm and I mention from warm to cold.

@cale_kat wrote:

AC is dry air but that doesn't mean that the air inside the camera has adjusted to the ambient temperature or humidty. Exposing the camera to rapid temperature changes is explicitly warned against in my Canon Instruction Manual. They mention moving from cold to warm and I mention from warm to cold.

The air temp out of an AC vent isn't that cold... about 60ºF.  Also... going from warm to cold is never a problem (that's physics).  Going from cold to warm+moist can cause condesnation if the surface temperature of the item drops below the dew point.

You can always check the dewpoint at any weather site. 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements