cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 60d keeps shutting itself off!!

gregoriodavila
Contributor
I'm having a major issue with my Canon 60d and I'm hoping you can help me.

I'm shooting a documentary with many interviews. This **bleep** camera keeps shutting off. Not the 12 min shut off during video, it just keeps shutting off.

I read on blogs about the SD card not keeping up. I've used two cards: ScanDisk 32 mb class 10, and Transcend 32 mb class 10 and had the same issue. I'm shooting 1920x1080 24fps.

I'm thinking maybe the camera is getting hot? It will initially record fine for about 20 min's then shut off. Recoding again it shuts off after about 7 min. then 5 min, then 3 then continues at a lower and lower recording time until it shuts off around 30 seconds into recording.

I have found nothing online that will solve this problem.

I am interviewing many well know figures who have been around a long time and have great notoriety, and it's extremely embarrassing  to have this happening. Not to mention not getting the information I need for the movie because of camera issues.

Please help!!!

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Much gratitude,
32 REPLIES 32

I'm still suspicious that it may be a micro-switch since you're not getting heat warnings and those are designed to kill power. You may have a single switch which is flakey and not getting good contact.

The forums here are really an end-user support community. If someone has an issue because they're not using a feature correctly, odds are high someone here will figure it out and be able to help. But in your case, the camera isn't warning that you have an over-heating problem. A bad memory card will usually result in the video recording being ended before you want... but that wont power down the camera. The micro-switch on the other hand... that WILL power down the camera (that's why I'm suspicious).

To get this corrected you probably should contact Canon support and make arrangements to send it in for evaluation.

Is it a new 60D (it it under warranty?)
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

The pattern of performance the OP describes in the first post strongly suggests heat-related issues.

I quote, " It will initially record fine for about 20 min's then shut off. Recoding again it shuts off after about 7 min. then 5 min, then 3 then continues at a lower and lower recording time until it shuts off around 30 seconds into recording."

Could a micro switch generate sufficient heat to cause performance to fail in this way? This sounds like the camera sensor overheating and not having sufficient time to cool down.

It does seem like overheating, but I never see the warning lights flash. Plus is it normal for the camera to start overheating just 20 min's into recording? Seems like it tenders this camera useless for video recording.

The room temperature, ventilation, and resolution will all combine to create a temperature reading. So what works in one environment might not in another. You really should have some baseline readings on the camera by now. I don't know how many interviews you've conducted, etc. But it would be, I imagine, really helpful to practice the shoot in the same conditions as they take place to determine the limitations of your equipment. If the lighting is creating additional heat then you might need to rethink your lighting.

Frankly, I wouldn't worry too much about not seeing the heat warnings. You probably weren't looking for them and were to busy managing a challenging job.

BTW, never point the camera at the sun when filming. It can destroy the sensor.

Thanks for the tips everyone! Unfortunately we shoot on location at each individuals home or office so it's not a 'controlled' environment. Plus it's been mid 80's here in L.A. for a couple of weeks now. We've alos been shooting with the Panasonic gh3 and never had this issue with it.

P.S. If anyone els has advice or tips please post. Thank you!

Wish me luck!

It can handle quite a bit of heat.  I run my 60Da hard for hours and the internal temperature sensor will reach 115-120ºF (The astrophotography image-aquisition application uses the Canon SDK which allows it to retreive that data.)

I think you need to consider alternatives.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Hi TCampbell,

Can you tell me what you mean by "alternatives"?

Homes and offices? They've got AC in LA, don't they? 

Yes. The problem is we can't have air or fans running during taping because of sound.

@gregoriodavila wrote:
Yes. The problem is we can't have air or fans running during taping because of sound.

I was suggesting only as a "test" to see if the cooler air makes a difference.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements