cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 60D wont track date & time

vinylfire
Contributor

I purchased a used Canon 60D. It works great but the only thing I can't figure out is the date and time. No matter how many times I set it, it still defaults to 01/01/00 00:00. I set the time, hit OK, and immediately it goes back to 01/01/00 00:00. 

It has the latest firmware and I've tried overwriting it.

I've tried resetting the Camera back to stock. 

What else should I try?

8 REPLIES 8

Make sure the date/time battery is properly seated. Or maybe it's dead or nearly dead. Since you bought the camera used, it may not even have the original date/time battery. You could use a battery tester or just replace it on general principles.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

When you mean date/time battery, do you mean the regular battery? Or is there a desperate battery?

Most (all?) Canon DSLRs have a separate battery (small, flat, circular - like a wristwatch battery) to keep track of the date and time. It's why you don't lose the date and time when you remove the main battery. I don't have a 60D, but I just took a quick look at my 7D manual. The procedure for changing out the date/time battery is described on page 251.

Bob

I can't seem to find anything in the 60D manual. And all I can find online are debates in forums as to what kind of date/time system the 60D has. Ugh.

Maybe it's one of those aspects where they cut corners on the 60D. Like leaving off autofocus microadjustment (which had been there on the 50D).

Bob

Could be. My wife's 60D works great. But when I import my photos, they are a hodgepodge of order. Pretty annoying.

amfoto1
Authority

The 60D doesn't have a user replaceable date/time battery. Instead it has a rechargeable cell on the main circuit board that provides to retain date & time when the main battery is removed, is recharged from the main battery when it's installed and the camera is on.

Since everything else seems to be working okay, it's likely that cell has gone bad and needs replacing . To have that done, you'll likely have to send the camera in to Canon Service. Get in touch with them.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Alan is correct.  The 60D has a permanent internal clock battery.  It takes it charge from the main battery.  If the camera is stored with no battery for an extended period, that clock battery could lose time.  But as soon as you insert a battery, it should start charging again and setting the clock should work.

My 5D bodies have separate coin type batteries for date/time, but many (probably most) of Canon's bodies don't have a separate user-replaceable battery.

As Alan suggests.... I'm guessing your internal battery is toast and needs to be serviced.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements