cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 60D out of focus through Viewfinder

Squiddib
Contributor

Hi Guys, my old 60D workhorse camera has developed an issue.  Looking through the viewfinder everything is out of focus, settings and view.  The Diopoter does nothing to correct it, I tried cycling one click at a time through each of the diopters magnifications and it seems to make no difference.

This poor camera has taken well over 1 mil photos but its a good model for taking on holiday for widlife shots so I would like to get it resolved.  It was working correctly 2 weeks ago and has been stored in a padded camera bag since, so its a mystery why it should suddenly drop the focus.  All photos taken come out perfectly but its very hard chasing a bird in flight when its out of focus in the viewfinder.  Tried multipul lenses, not sure if anyone has any ideas or has heard of similar issues.

Many Thanks

13 REPLIES 13

You are one lucky dude.  You must have callouses on your finger!  Since the 60D has only been out for five or six years, that is a lot of finger snapping.

Get a new camera..............................

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

While looking for information about something else, I ran across an article that had an excellent illustration of the inner workings of the viewfinders.

EOS_DSLR_Viewfinder_Pentaprism.PNG

The pentaprism in your 60D could be the hollow type, and it could simply be damaged in some way.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Many thanks I am sending it off to see if it can be repaired, if only for posterity as a camera that took that many shots 🙂  I have burnt out every one of my previous cameras through over-use as well...  My poor little Sony Bridge camera is having to shoulder the load until my new 7D arrives.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"This poor camera has taken well over 1 mil photos but its a good model ..."

If that statement is true, which I am almost in unbelief Smiley Surprised, it is probably time to consider a new camera.  This would truly be a rarity.  I would not take it on a serious trip without a newer back-up camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements