cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5dsr sensor issue?

poluslevi
Apprentice

The following image was taken outside during the winter in Wisconsin. It was about my tenth image of the day and I had been outside for about an hour or so. It was a long exposure image. Could the temperature have caused a sensor malfunction? I did switch batteries before the picture. Could the new battery have been too warm in my colder camera body and caused the malfunction? I do have the one year refurbished warranty. The camera is working okay now, but I have not tested it outside again. Would any of you send the camera in immediately, or wait to see if it happens again? I have until April before my warranty expires. Thanks for your input!

- Levi

sensor-image.jpg

8 REPLIES 8

It's certainly an abnormal result, but I think it's all going to depend on what the temperature was. If it was outside the published specs of the camera, you may not have much chance of getting it fixed under warranty.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

poluslevi
Apprentice
Thanks for your input. I have not seen an exact temperature yet in my 5dsr manuals. Still searching. But I've read canon 5dm3 certified to -25 Fahrenheit on other sites. If that is near the truth I wasn't operating anywhere near that and I follow the rules to protect against condensation. Maybe the cold weather didnt help but expect but it should not have caused the issue if it truly was a malfunction. My opinion.

@poluslevi wrote:
Thanks for your input. I have not seen an exact temperature yet in my 5dsr manuals. Still searching. But I've read canon 5dm3 certified to -25 Fahrenheit on other sites. If that is near the truth I wasn't operating anywhere near that and I follow the rules to protect against condensation. Maybe the cold weather didnt help but expect but it should not have caused the issue if it truly was a malfunction. My opinion.

Consumer electronics are VERY rarely rated to be operated at temperatures below freezing, much less sub-zero Fahrenheit temperatures. 

Operating/Storage TemperatureOperating
32 to 104°F (0 to 40°C)
Humidity: 0 - 85%

Those are the posted specifications for the 5D Mark IV.  It's not rated to be operated below freezing.  With the exception of milspec components, most electronic chips and other electronic circuit board components are not rated to operate below freezing.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@poluslevi wrote:

Those other sites are wrong.

The official operation range of ALL Canon dSLRs (including the 1DX Mk II) is at or above 32 degrees Fahrenheit.

Peter
Authority
Authority
You still have warranty. Send the picture to Canon and ask what Canon thinks about it.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

May be related:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/58762911

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Levi,

I don't have a 5Ds but I have shot a lot of pictures with 1 series cameras and the rest of the 5 series.  I never noticed the cold bothering any them.  As a matter of fact, I never even consider the weather when I need to shoot.  I just do it.  If it is real cold I keep extra batteries in my pocket.  But that is it.

Yours does look like a sensor issue.  It could be caused by the SD or CF cards you used.  I think a call to Canon is in order especially since it is a refurb.  That may be the reason it is!.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

poluslevi
Apprentice
Thanks so much for all of your input. My camera is still working now. It hasn't dropped below freezing on the days I've been shooting. I'm out now around 35 degrees for 2 hours at it hasn't given me any issues. Not sure what caused the problem but I reset my camera and it is working for now. Thanks again everyone!
Announcements