cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5d mark ii

gomess101
Apprentice

I've been doing photography for around 4 years now shooting wildlife and landscapes and I am currently selling my canon 7d in order to finally go full frame. With the money I currently have and my expected selling price for the 7d I can afford a 5d mark ii, are there any other suggestions for a used full frame DSLR at this price point? (E.g. $500-700)

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you shop around, not eBay, you may find a used 1D Mark IV around $800 - $1000.  

Why not upgrade to a used 7D Mark II?  Is there some compelling reason to go full frame?  If you're shooting wildlife, then I assume that you are using full frame lenses, not EF-S mount lenses.  

You can shoot landscapes just as well with an APS-C body as you can with a full frame.  Either can do very well at ISO 100 on a tripod.  You would be pressed to tell the difference.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

If you shop around, not eBay, you may find a used 1D Mark IV around $800 - $1000.  

Why not upgrade to a used 7D Mark II?  Is there some compelling reason to go full frame?  If you're shooting wildlife, then I assume that you are using full frame lenses, not EF-S mount lenses.  

You can shoot landscapes just as well with an APS-C body as you can with a full frame.  Either can do very well at ISO 100 on a tripod.  You would be pressed to tell the difference.

I think I concur with Waddizzle. The 7D2 is nearly identical to the 5D Mk III, except for its lighter weight and smaller sensor size. I've never used a 5D2; but when the 5D3 came out, the general consensus was that it was a significant improvement over the 5D2. So I think I might prefer the 7D2 over the 5D2. (Full disclosure: I have a 5D3, and my wife has a 7D2.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

I think I concur with Waddizzle. The 7D2 is nearly identical to the 5D Mk III, except for its lighter weight and smaller sensor size. I've never used a 5D2; but when the 5D3 came out, the general consensus was that it was a significant improvement over the 5D2. So I think I might prefer the 7D2 over the 5D2. (Full disclosure: I have a 5D3, and my wife has a 7D2.)

EOS 7D Mark II, Sigma 150-600mm "C".  No cropping on the original shot, but resolution has been reduced.

Notice how the adult on the right only has one wing extended.  It had been feeding the juvenile on the left.  The juvenile in the center was crashing the party to get fed.

CF389FB7-6C9B-4910-B535-D9648A95E319.jpeg

You're gonna miss the free teleconverter of an APS-C sensor switching to full frame.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"... you may find a used 1D Mark IV around $800 - $1000."

Love the suggestion a very worthy camera but bare in mind it is not a FF camera if that is truly what you want.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"With the money I currently have and my expected selling price for the 7d I can afford a 5d mark ii, are there any other suggestions ,,,"

Yeah there are!  No way would I trade a 7D for a 5D Mk II.  Save a bit until you can at least buy a 5D Mk III. The 7D was the  longest product cycle for any EOS digital camera for a reason. It is a year younger, too, than the Mk II.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

johntea
Apprentice

these camera is amazing thanks for recommend 

(link removed as per forum guidelines) 

Announcements