cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5d classic autofocus

Blue_Road
Apprentice

Just picked up a used 5d classic and it will only autofocus in the AUTO MODE.  It will not autpo focus ins P, Tv, Av or M modes.

Any ideas?  Have i gotten a malfunctioning / broken camera?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to ythe forum.

Maybe the previous owner set back button focus (and possible many oither custom settings).

Reset all camera settings and all custom settings by following the instructions in the manual.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to ythe forum.

Maybe the previous owner set back button focus (and possible many oither custom settings).

Reset all camera settings and all custom settings by following the instructions in the manual.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

LOve asking the experts! I searched a solution and found the Mark3, which was same advice..

I cleared all custom functions and I can happily FOCUS in all modes!!

I just retired my d30 and the 5d is all high tech to me.

THANKS!!!!!

PS  I only have the Spanish version of instructions..LOL

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
If Spanish isn’t the language you want you can google to get your preferred language.

Glad you are all set.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Just picked up a used 5d classic and it will only autofocus in the AUTO MODE.  It will not autpo focus ins P, Tv, Av or M modes."

I am not aware of what setting would cause the 5D to focus in Auto, green square mode, and none of the others. I wonder if it is really fixed or just coincidence or whatever. You can do a full reset by removing both batteries. The main power battery and the keep alive button battery for an hour or so. BTW, you might want to replace the button battery since I bet it is the original one.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I will do the button battery replacement.  Te reset all settings and custom setting has the auto focus working.  It is a much nicer camera than my 30d I bought back in 1997...

Thanks

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Just picked up a used 5d classic and it will only autofocus in the AUTO MODE.  It will not autpo focus ins P, Tv, Av or M modes."

I am not aware of what setting would cause the 5D to focus in Auto, green square mode, and none of the others. I wonder if it is really fixed or just coincidence or whatever. You can do a full reset by removing both batteries. The main power battery and the keep alive button battery for an hour or so. BTW, you might want to replace the button battery since I bet it is the original one.

Having BBF enabled would do the trick.  

It is a best practice to fully reset any used camera that you buy.  A full reset almost always that you do  a reset in more than one spot in the menus.  First, there is the main reset "back to factory defaults", which is only your starting point.  

Next.  Put the camera into P mode using the top mode dial.  Go through the entire menu system.  Many of the menu item that open up to its' own sub-menu will often have its' own separate reset function.  A good example of this is Custom Function programming of the control buttons.

Once you have gone through all of the menus, you may want to repeat the process with the camera in Live View mode, and again in Movie Mode.  Finally, repeat the main reset "back to factory defaults".

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"Having BBF enabled would do the trick."

Right, BFF does stop AF on the shutter button. I had forgotten that.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I believe Auto Green Square overides all custom settings.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements