cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5d Mark IV and falcon eyes TE-900D problem

Stevenpyn
Apprentice

Hello,

I recently bought the the canon 5d mark IV and I wanted to connect it with my falcon eyes te-900d studio flash for some productphotography.

When I turn the camera on, the flashes go off without a problem. When I take a second picture, the flashes work sometimes. As soon as I adjust something in my settings like shutterspeed or something, the flashes stop working.
As I turn the camera off  & on again, the flashes work again for one picture and then it stops again.
Turning the camera off & on seems te make it connect back again for a short period of time.

Kinda weird.

I experienced no problems with my previous camera (canon eos 50D).

What could be the problem here ?

Thanks in advance !

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The first question that comes to mind is how are you triggering it to fire? 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I use the trigger that came together with the set.

It's called RF-604 

[link removed per forum guidelines]

If it still works with your 50D, then it should work with the 5D Mark IV, provided that it is setup properly.  Be sure that you are using manual flash mode in the camera. 

There are cautions in the 5D4 instruction manual against using high voltage flash units.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Flash firing is enabled. I took some pictures today and all of a sudden they start working without problems.

Maybe it had something to do with the trigger itself. 

The only thing I find odd is that I can't get in the flash function settings.

It says "This menu cannot be displayed. Incompatible flash or flash's power turned off".

Even when I'm shooting with the flashes.

That isn't normal right ?

Thanks for the quick reply !

It is normal if these are not trying to mimic Canon's E-TTL flash. That menu lets you remotely set things on the flash's menu from the camera.

Even if they are trying to mimic a Canon flash, it might not work, even if the flash can take a picture using E-TTL.

@Stevenpyn wrote:

Flash firing is enabled. I took some pictures today and all of a sudden they start working without problems.

Maybe it had something to do with the trigger itself. 

The only thing I find odd is that I can't get in the flash function settings.

It says "This menu cannot be displayed. Incompatible flash or flash's power turned off".

Even when I'm shooting with the flashes.

That isn't normal right ?

Thanks for the quick reply !

Definitely a trigger issue.  This RF-604 trigger appears to be a manual only trigger, meaning that  besides the signal for firing a flash or a group of flashes,  it can't transmit additional info like ETTL, etc.  This means that you need to set everything manually and the camera doesn't really recognize the trigger as a flash unit (either a flash controller or flash gun).

That shows that your trigger and camera have basic compatibility problem - but that's OK as long as you set everything to manual, which is normal for a studio setup anyways.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Stevenpyn
Apprentice

The problem was that when I enter Live view mode, The flash didn't  trigger.

The flashes only go off when I exit live view mode.

I do not now if that is normal but I now know what causes the problem so no more time is wasted. 🙂

Thanks for the help !

Steven

@Stevenpyn wrote:

The problem was that when I enter Live view mode, The flash didn't  trigger.

The flashes only go off when I exit live view mode.

I do not now if that is normal but I now know what causes the problem so no more time is wasted. 🙂

This could be the problem:

Capture.JPG

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
Announcements