cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5d Mark III. I am using a 50mm 1.2 L Lens and cannot achieve focus

Selina
Apprentice

I just bought a Mark III.  I could not achieve focus.  I used the microadjustment dial, and had to adjust it all the way to -20 to get it to focus, however that only works for objects approximately 8 feet and closer.  With anything further away I cannot achieve focus with this setting and have to erase the microadjustment.  This doesn't make sense and I cannot be constantly checking my focus and readjusting the microadjustment when I am shooting a session.  

4 REPLIES 4

Mykolas
Authority

Hi Selina!

Thank you for posting.

The microadjustment tool is something made available to you if you need to make corrections in the field, but it is not something that should have to be used if everything is calibrated and working properly.

Do you have any other lenses and do those lenses require you to make the same adjustments?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank You Mike!

I did call Canon technical support and we went through several things on the phone.  The representitive I spoke with recommended I just exchange it since I had only had it a week.  The new body should arrive today.....so hopefully it works great!    

Selina

Carnac
Contributor

Well, the 50mm 1.2 L is a bit notorious for focusing issues. However, the 5D mk III works very well with it.

On a prime lens you should not have to set different micro adjustments for different camera to subject distance.

Needing to use the micro adjustment function is very helpful and there is no cause to worry if a lens and camera body combination require micro adjustment for optimal focusing, but if you need to go all the way to -20, it is probably time to send the body and lens to Canon for calibration/adjustment. If it is new, you should be able to get this done at no charge to you. Call before you send your equipment.

Realize that the depth of field at f1.2 is VERY small - at 3 feet the DOF is about 3/4 of an INCH. At 11 feet the DOF is about a foot. But if your 5D will not show a focus lock-on, then there is something wrong with either the body or lens. Do other lenses work OK? Do you have another body to try the lens on? (maybe you can borrow from someone local).

More information may help us help with your problem.

Jim

Thank you.  I called Canon technical support and spoke with someone.  He concluded it was a  body issue and recommended I just exchange it since it was within 30 days of purchase.  Thanks for your reply!

Selina

Announcements