cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5Ds r autofocus problems

Ethan
Contributor

Just bought the 5Ds r and have used it once (yesterday) on a shoot. Seemed to work fine. Picked it up today and the autofocus doesn't work with either of the two lenses I have at my disposal. I haven't changed a thing that I know of. I've cleared all custom functions and cleared camera settings to try and fix. Nothing has worked. Suggestions?

18 REPLIES 18

That's what I'm very worried about John - since I'm on the road and can't do much with a non-working camera...

Try resting all camera functions to factory, pull both batteries and let it sit overnight. That should get you back to fresh out of the box status.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I have reset everything to factory, gently wiped the contacts with a lens cloth, and pulled the battery several times. Not sure what else to try. I've never run into this sort of thing in 20 years of shooting.

Not sure this will help, but here goes anyway...

You mention pulling the batteries to "reboot" the camera.

However, in many Canon it's not just the main battery(ies) that needs to be pulled. There is also a separate date/time battery in many models. Both the main and the date/time batteries have to be pulled to get a proper "reboot" in those cameras.

5DS/5DS-R are new models, so I am not sure they have a user-replaceable date/time battery. But the two new models are based upon the 5D-series body, and those earlier models do use a one. On them it's located in a little drawer on the LH side of the camera, right below the USB and other output ports. The battery drawer is secured by a screw on the other 5D-series models (need a precision JIS cross point screwdriver to remove that screw... and care not to lose it!). The battery in there is something like a lithium CR2016 or CR2025 (a silver "watch" battery). These are widely available, once you know what's needed.

In order to fully reboot the camera, both the main and time/date batteries should be removed. Then turn the camera on and press the shutter release button once. The shutter won't fire, of course. But this should clear any residual power stored in the camera's ciruitry. Turn the camera off, put the batteries back in, turn the camera on and check the date/time. If they need to be reset, you got a proper "reboot".

If this works, I would recommend NOT using the Sigma lens on the camera. The problem you encountered might have been that lens isn't compatible with the camera. Unfortunately, this happens. Third party lens manufacturers older lenses sometimes simply won't work with newer camera models. Over the years this has happened a lot with Sigma lenses, though it usually only causes an Error code (which can be cleared by temporarily removing the main battery alone). But, who knows! It's a brand new camera model and there might be compatibility issues with third party lenses such as that Sigma. It's not likely, but possible that an incompatible lens might even do damage to the camera.

Only Canon lenses are guaranteed to work on Canon cameras.  So it you get the camera working again, I'd just suggest not using the Sigma for now... only use your 24-70. Later you can check with Sigma to see if there are any known issues using that particular lens on the camera. And, if there is an issue, Sigma might offer a fix (re-chipping or new firmware, typically).

If the "reboot" doesn't work, it could be still have been a compatibility issue with the Sigma lens, but with some actual damage done. Or it might be a fault with the camera.

Can you still take shots focusing manually?

Have you tried using Live View focus (which I think is a separate AF system, from the viewfinder-based one)?

Hope this helps!

EDIT: I found an older article on one of the Canon websites that discusses the date/time battery and it's replacement on a number of Canon models. Check out http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/infobank/batteries/care_of_batteries.do On the RH side of the page, part ways down, there are four pairs of photos showing the location of date/time batteries in different EOS cameras. The third pair of photos shows 5D or 5DII... which is where I'd think it most likely to be on 5DS/5DS-R, too, if the new cameras have a user-replaceable date/time battery.

I also need to mention that some of the more recent models have a built-in battery for this purpose that is not user replaceable. The 60D and, I think, 70D use a battery inside, on the main board of the camera. Only a tech can replace it, if needed. The above "reboot" method won't work on those cameras.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

Thank you for the suggestions Alan. I can take shots using manual focus, though I am primarily an uw photographer [OceanStockImages.com] and manual focus doesn't work with a fisheye lens in an uw housing. Having just bought this camera I'm not sure how to get to Live View focus but will research that online. I also cannot find a replaceable date/time battery on the body. In the mean time, I will try to find someone locally who has other lenses to try. If the Sigma 15 isn't compatible I wonder of the Canon 15 is...

@Ethan wrote:

Thank you for the suggestions Alan. I can take shots using manual focus, though I am primarily an uw photographer [OceanStockImages.com] and manual focus doesn't work with a fisheye lens in an uw housing. Having just bought this camera I'm not sure how to get to Live View focus but will research that online. I also cannot find a replaceable date/time battery on the body. In the mean time, I will try to find someone locally who has other lenses to try. If the Sigma 15 isn't compatible I wonder of the Canon 15 is...

I don't own a 5Dsr, but a buddy of mine does.  I noticed that when I compared my 5D III to his 5Dsr, the button layout appears to be the same.

To the right of the viewfinder is a button labeled "start/stop".  It also has a switch that changes the camera from photographic mode to video mode.  In photographic mode (the default mode that your camera is in right now) the "start/stop" button toggles the camera from viewfinder mode to "live view" mode (where you use the rear LCD screen to frame and focus your  shots.)

"live view" uses "contrast detect auto-focus" whereas "viewfinder" mode uses "phase detect auto-focus".  Phase detect is much faster and tends to be the preferred mode.  But if the reason for the failure is a problem with the phase-detect sensors (something I think is unlikely) then switching to contrast-detect (live view mode) would work because it doesn't use the phase-detect sensors.

The issue you describe sounds like either a failure (possibly an intermittent failure) in the lens' focusing motor... or it could be a problem with the camera body (do you own other camera bodies and does this lens work consistently when used on a different body?).  E.g. the body may be failing to send focus instructions to the lens' focus motor... or may be failing to provide power to the focus motor.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks Tim. Just tried the live view focus and it's not working either. Same issue, the lens just is not attempting to focus. The lens worked fine with my older 5DMkII. It's a Sigma 15mm lens - maybe there's a compatibility issue with this brand new 5DS R body?

Didn't you say you were having the same problem with the EOS EF24-70?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I have just bought this camera and took picutre this morning. I have the same problem, auto focus was not working and I have to use manual instead.

Announcements