cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5DMK3 controller joystick broke off - Changing zoom window without it?

Cherios
Apprentice

Hi

A couple of weeks ago I noticed how the joystick on the back got a little bit stiff when trying to use it but didn't think much of it until it snapped off the other day. Unfortunately I was out in the woods and coudn't find the little piece anymore.

The logical thing to do would be to send it to the repair center and get it fixed, however I've already been in contact with them and they can't guarantee a timely repair before I travel to Australia and I certainly don't want to risk not having my camera with me on my travels.

Call me an amateur but when I really want something to be 100% in focues I'll often use the live-view mode and then zoom in to set my focus, rather than rely on the auto-focus. Now my main problem is that the little window that let's you choose which area you'd like to zoom in on is on the far edge of the screen, which makes it super annoying and also probably leads to me setting my focus incorrectly.

TLDR; So do any of you either know a good way to get the joystick button fixed in less than 2 weeks time or otherwise how to change the zoom window in live-view to the center of the frame rather than on the edge without using the joystick? Is there maybe a way to reassign buttons?

I'd appreciate any help on this.

Happy new year to everyone and thanks a lot in advance!

3 REPLIES 3

@Cherios wrote:

Hi

A couple of weeks ago I noticed how the joystick on the back got a little bit stiff when trying to use it but didn't think much of it until it snapped off the other day. Unfortunately I was out in the woods and coudn't find the little piece anymore.

The logical thing to do would be to send it to the repair center and get it fixed, however I've already been in contact with them and they can't guarantee a timely repair before I travel to Australia and I certainly don't want to risk not having my camera with me on my travels.

Call me an amateur but when I really want something to be 100% in focues I'll often use the live-view mode and then zoom in to set my focus, rather than rely on the auto-focus. Now my main problem is that the little window that let's you choose which area you'd like to zoom in on is on the far edge of the screen, which makes it super annoying and also probably leads to me setting my focus incorrectly.

TLDR; So do any of you either know a good way to get the joystick button fixed in less than 2 weeks time or otherwise how to change the zoom window in live-view to the center of the frame rather than on the edge without using the joystick? Is there maybe a way to reassign buttons?

I'd appreciate any help on this.

Happy new year to everyone and thanks a lot in advance!

I'd be less concerned with the broken joystick than with what made it stiff enough to break. The obvious suspicion is that water got in and rusted the mechanism. Whatever it was, I wouldn't want to start a long trip without having it thoroughly inspected. Any time I've had work done at a Canon service center, I've had the camera back in less (and often much less) than 48 hours. To be sure, I'm a CPS member; but even so, I'd think that if you're willing to pay for air shipping, you'd be likely to get the camera back in time. There certainly shouldn't be any problem with parts availability for a 5D3.

How much is this trip costing you, and when are you going to get to make it again? Maybe you should just bite the bullet and look for a refurb 5D3. Then the next time a problem like this comes up, you'll have a spare camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Join CPS Gold, today.  It is your best chance and hope.  The camera will come back like new.  It will ship overnight.  They never had one of mine for more than a week or so.  Shipping time included.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hi, thanks for your message. Unfortunately I don't qualify as a CPS member as I only possess 2 suitable cameras and 1 lens. I was however able to reset the zoom window to the center of the frame using a pen. I guess I'll have to work with that and then get the body repaired as soon as i'm back. 

Announcements