cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D viewfinder defect

ThomasPatrick
Apprentice

Hello, I have a Canon 5D whereby I look thru the viewfinder & all that visible is a clear hole. The remaining parts of the viewfinder are "blacked out"  I put the same lens on a different camera and the issue went away. So my auumption is that the issue/defect is on the Canon Body.  Has anyone had this experience & if so, how did you you repair your 5D?  I'd send it to Canon but because so many upgrades came out after the original 5D, the repair price might be as high as the cameras value.  I sure would appreciate any step by step instructions as I've tried other lenses on the 5D, than put those leneses on one of my other Canon's, so it has to be the body, perhaps the mirror elements.  Please help.  Kindly,

Gary

12 REPLIES 12

ThomasPatrick
Apprentice
I inadvertently tried to put a Canon EFS 18-55 onto my 5D. My friend has a T7i & I grabbed what I thought was my "short lens". Obviously it did NOT mount and afterwards my viewfinder looked as though I was looking thru a telescope, minus the magnification. I'm able to shoot images, but it's nearly impossible to see thru the small hole that is now the viewfinder "look". I looked inside my 5D to see if anything looked "cocked" or missing & everything looked ok. I'm not tech saavy, as far as knowing how many pieces of "glass" are supposed to be inside the camera so it may look fine but something could be missing. If it matters, I am super gentle when handling my equip, especially when mounting smallish lenses. I never use the 5D but I took it along one day to see how it compared to my new camera as I planned on selling the 5D. Thanks everyone who responded. If anyone could tell me exactly what to look for & where to look I sure would appreciate it. Again, thank you kindly.

ThomasPatrick
Apprentice
It was my mistake. I grabbed what I thought was my wide angle canon lens but instead grabbed mt friends canon EFS 18-55. I noticed instantly that I had the wrong lens but not until I did the "half twist" thingy. Afterwards when I mounted the correct lens onto the 5D, the only way to describe it...is that looking into the viewfinder...it looks as though your looking thru a long pipe or telescope without the magnification. If it matters ..the camera still is able to shoot images...but now the view in the viewfinder is only a small distant circle. I read & appreciate the replies & looked inside the 5D if it looked as though something was missing or at a strange angle but I didnt see anything that looked "out of whack". I'm not exactly tech savvy as far as the inside of cameras so maybe im just missing something. I'm pretty certain if something fell out of the camera when I attempted to mount the EFS lens I would have noticed. As I said, the camera still shoots fine but I need to undo whatever happened to the camera that the viewfinder looks as I described. If someone has a link to a diagram, that would help as I could compare my camera to the way it is supposed to be. I appreciate everyone's help.

Screenshot 2020-09-25 103249.jpg

Check that the circled part is now off the lens and stuck in the camera.

Screenshot 2020-09-25 102913.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements