cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D mk lll DEAD!

mitch236
Contributor

I posted this on the Facebook site but no replies.

Last while shooting my daughter's gymnastic event, first I realized I didn't have my Canon EF70-200f2.8 fully mounted to my 5D mklll and although it was working, eventually the focus stopped functioning and that's when I noticed it wasn't fully locked in. So now the lens is locked and finished the event and while downloading to my iPhone by EyFi card in the camera, my camera died! I freaked out and was losing it when I found a video on YouTube that explained that if I took the lens off, the battery out and the cf cards out, and then put it back together, it resets the camera and voila, it worked!! Has anyone else had this happen and how can I prevent it? Thanks!

Here's the video explaining the solution:

https://youtu.be/fqfDMikBKTA

24 REPLIES 24

Just wanted to follow up the conclusion so far. I received my camera back and while Canon claims they couldn't replicate my problem, and therefore couldn't fix it, after their service, the camera seems to be working flawlessly so far. Do you think they repaired it and maybe didn't want to say what they fixed?  I know it sounds crazy but unless them resetting everything magically fixed it, I don't understand how it's working better. 

@mitch236 wrote:

Just wanted to follow up the conclusion so far. I received my camera back and while Canon claims they couldn't replicate my problem, and therefore couldn't fix it, after their service, the camera seems to be working flawlessly so far. Do you think they repaired it and maybe didn't want to say what they fixed?  I know it sounds crazy but unless them resetting everything magically fixed it, I don't understand how it's working better. 

A (supposedly true) story I once read:

A wealthy Englishman living in India drove over a pothole and broke one of the rear springs in his Rolls-Royce. The local shop agreed to repair it, but didn't have the part.. So the owner ordered it from the factory in England. In due course the spring arrived and was installed, but an invoice for the part never arrived. So the owner, not wanting to damage his credit rating, wrote to the company recounting what had transpired and asked them to look into what had happened to the invoice. Back came the reply: "You must be mistaken, sir. There's no such thing as a broken spring in a Rolls-Royce."

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

One problem with reading Snopes is that you learn there is no such thing as a "supposedly" true story:

http://www.snopes.com/autos/dream/rolls.asp

@kvbarkley wrote:

One problem with reading Snopes is that you learn there is no such thing as a "supposedly" true story:

http://www.snopes.com/autos/dream/rolls.asp

But the nice thing about such yarns is that, like Jesus's parables, they don't have to be true.  Smiley Wink

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

indeed! 8^)

Announcements