cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D mk lll DEAD!

mitch236
Contributor

I posted this on the Facebook site but no replies.

Last while shooting my daughter's gymnastic event, first I realized I didn't have my Canon EF70-200f2.8 fully mounted to my 5D mklll and although it was working, eventually the focus stopped functioning and that's when I noticed it wasn't fully locked in. So now the lens is locked and finished the event and while downloading to my iPhone by EyFi card in the camera, my camera died! I freaked out and was losing it when I found a video on YouTube that explained that if I took the lens off, the battery out and the cf cards out, and then put it back together, it resets the camera and voila, it worked!! Has anyone else had this happen and how can I prevent it? Thanks!

Here's the video explaining the solution:

https://youtu.be/fqfDMikBKTA

24 REPLIES 24

Note that the only devices that show up in that list are filesystem devices like USB sticks and memory cards. Printers, keyboards, mice - and Canon cameras - don't show up there.

"Hot Pluggable" shows up all over the USB specification. Deal with it.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Note that the only devices that show up in that list are filesystem devices like USB sticks and memory cards. Printers, keyboards, mice - and Canon cameras - don't show up there.

"Hot Pluggable" shows up all over the USB specification. Deal with it.

My mouse and keyboard show up in the Taskbar.  In fact, take a look for yourself.  The EOS icon is #6 from the left, and appears whenever a camera is connected.  Four icons past that is the icon for the mouse on my laptop, complete with left and right buttons.

Taskbar Icons.PNG

Every USB device I have ever used recommends using the PC to disconnect from the device before you unplug it, especially USB memory sticks.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I'm sad to say it happened again tonight. The lens was firmly attached as was the flash. I turned off the camera and it wouldn't turn back on until I did the steps outlined in the video. Is there a way to reset the firmware as I just updated it last week and now this!  My camera is genuine USA. Someone please help!

@mitch236 wrote:

I'm sad to say it happened again tonight. The lens was firmly attached as was the flash. I turned off the camera and it wouldn't turn back on until I did the steps outlined in the video. Is there a way to reset the firmware as I just updated it last week and now this!  My camera is genuine USA. Someone please help!

Have you not called Canon? No offense to the people in this forum, or to those on YouTube and Facebook, but if that were happening to my 5D3, I'm pretty sure it would be in the Jamesburg shop by now.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

"Do not go to the elves for counsel, for they will say both 'yes' and 'no'"

I really don't know whether Canon's lens mount connections are designed to be "hot plugged" like USB. I assume they are since nowhere does Canon say that you have to be sure that the camera is off to change the lens.

That being said, I can think of a lot of things that can happen when an electrical circuit - especially ones connected to motors and coils - is is broken when the power is on.

USB ports are not designed to be "hot plugges", which is why the icon appears on toolbars that you should click on in order to disconnect the associated USB device.

That's not why that icon is there. It's to make sure that any buffered partial results are written to the device before it's removed. I've yet to encounter a USB-powered device that had to be turned off before being plugged in or removed.

Really?  So, why is it that the icon doesn't change its' appearance when the device is being accessed by the computer?  How would you know, or make sure, that any partially buffered results are fully written to the device?  You look at the USB device for an "activity" LED, or some other sort of indication, not an icon on the taskbar.

No, the icon is there to let you know that there is something connected, and to provide a shortcut for disconnecting it.

Well, yeah, but the reason you click on the shortcut before disconnecting the device is to ensure that all the data have been dealt with correctly. It's not, in any case that I've ever seen, to turn the device off.

Bob

Peter
Authority
Authority

If you have updated your firmware from an eyefi card, maybe that is the problem. Firmware update from a CF instead.

mitch236
Contributor
I actually updated by my MacBook using the usb cable. I've now replaced the internal clock battery and both cards (cf and eyeFi). So far so good. I've also cleared all settings but I'd love to reset the camera completely. Is there a way to reset the entire camera back to factory? Thanks!

@mitch236 wrote:
I actually updated by my MacBook using the usb cable. I've now replaced the internal clock battery and both cards (cf and eyeFi). So far so good. I've also cleared all settings but I'd love to reset the camera completely. Is there a way to reset the entire camera back to factory? Thanks!

I'll offer you one last piece of free advice, then bow out. Updating firmare from a card is simpler, faster, and much less error-prone than updating via USB I haven't done the latter since I bricked my wife's XTi nine years ago by screwing up the complex instructions. Fortunately the camera was still under warranty, and Canon overlooked my clumsiness and fixed it for free. But I learned my lesson.

Bob

mitch236
Contributor
Thanks I'll definitely use the cf card route next time!

Well it still fails so off to Virginia to Canon for repair. Thanks everyone!

Announcements