cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D markii Autofocus not working

LaurieSE
Apprentice

I have been using a 5D2 that belongs to my dad for several years. I have tried not to be too invested in it because I didn't want to be too disappointed when he took it back, although now I just want to improve my camera skills. I was talking to a friend who also uses a 5D2 and asking how she focuses so quickly for shoots with small children and she introduced me to BBF...Which would be amazing if I had ANY autofocus on the camera at all!! (I have been manually focusing (NO AUTOFOCUS EVER) for the last 3-4 years!!! and just assumed the camera didn't have an autofocus option. I know...feeling pretty silly about that about now!)

Anyway, I have gone through every available video and forum regarding autofocus problems and none seem to address the issue I am having which is that although the gray autofocus box comes up on my live view screen, I can't get the autofocus bracket to ever go red or green, let alone try to see if it will focus correctly.

Please help!

Thankyou!!!

9 REPLIES 9

Are you sure you're using an autofocus lens and that it's set to AF rather than MF?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

How can I tell if it is an autofocus lens?

Hmm. just googled my ? and saw something that asked why zeiss doesn't make autofocus lenses...It is a zeiss lens and I think you are right that it is not an autofocus lens. It is good to know my camera isn't broken, and that I'm not totally crazy (though wish I would have just asked here in the first place...way simpler than googling all day :/)  Any suggestions on a great lens to buy...I'm getting to the "I'll just invest and if my dad takes back the camera I'll just buy a new one" phase...

Ahhh!  

All Canon EOS "EF" lenses are auto-focusing lenses (the EF actually stands for Electro-Focus).  The only Canon EOS lenses for your camera body that are not auto-focusing are the specialty lenses... which include the four TS-E lenses (tilt-shift) and the MP-E (macro-photo).  This is not to be confused with "EF mount" (the camera body has an "EF mount" because it's designed for use with EF lenses.)  Just because a lens is "EF mount" doesn't mean it's auto-focusing... it has to be an "EF" lens.

But bets are off with 3rd party glass... particularly Zeiss.  

IF your lens is an f/2.8 lens, you can help speed things along by purchasing a Canon Eg-S super-precision focusing screen.  The lens greatly exagerates the blur in any out-of-focus area making it much easier to see if the image is focused when performing manaul focus.  You insert this focusing screen yourself (it comes with the tool and instructions -- and there are a number of YouTube videos which show how to do this.)

I put the Eg-S in my 5D II body, but again... this is intended for lenses which are f/2.8 or lower.  Also, there's a configuration setting that must be changed so that the light meter in the camera knows that you swapped focusing screens.  This is becuase the light meter reads through the focusing screen and the camera needs to know which screen you have or you'll get incorrect metering.

If your dad happens to have any EF lenses that you can use... it might greatly simplify your life.  Manual focus is not commonly used in casual photography.  Landscape photographers, product photographers, studio photographers, etc. might use "manual" focus to provide more control -- but as you've already noticed, it takes more time to perform the focus.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@LaurieSE wrote:

Hmm. just googled my ? and saw something that asked why zeiss doesn't make autofocus lenses...It is a zeiss lens and I think you are right that it is not an autofocus lens. It is good to know my camera isn't broken, and that I'm not totally crazy (though wish I would have just asked here in the first place...way simpler than googling all day :/)  Any suggestions on a great lens to buy...I'm getting to the "I'll just invest and if my dad takes back the camera I'll just buy a new one" phase...

Most of us who have full-frame cameras would recommend the Canon 24-105mm f4L. It's a well-made, image-stabilized, autofocus(!) lens with good image quality and a reasonable price. It's a great street photography lens. To get significantly better image quality or a larger aperture, you'd almost certainly have to settle for a shorter zoom range.

Bob

"Most of us who have full-frame cameras would recommend the Canon 24-105mm f4L."

And I am one that highly recommends this lens.  It is the Best Buy in a Canon "L" lens.  The L line is the top quality in build and IQ Canon makes.  If only one lens, this is the one to get.

Now, I recommend you not use Liveview to focus anyway. On a 5D Mk II, it is not that great besides.  Use the eye view finder and I prefer to use just the center focus point.  I put it on the most important part of the subject.  Get the lens and try the viewfinder center spot focus.  You will lovw iy and never give the camera back.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Convince your father that it's really not a very good camera... but as you are very concerned for the future of the planet, you'd like to avoid sending it to a landfill would happily provide it with a home where it will continue to be loved for many years.

If a person has a 5D II and they were only to own a single lens, then the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM would be that lens.

I have a number of lenses but don't own that particular lens... I went with the 24-70mm f/2.8L -- but that was because I also purchased the 70-200mm f/2.8L and the two lenses complement each other nicely.   My conundrum (many years ago) was to decide between the 24-70 f/2.8 and the 24-105 f/4.  If I were to ONLY own the 24-70, then I'd probably feel a bit constrained (hence the recommendation that if you only own one auto-focus lens... the 24-105 f/4 is the lens to have with a full-frame body such as a 5D II.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

Convince your father that it's really not a very good camera... but as you are very concerned for the future of the planet, you'd like to avoid sending it to a landfill would happily provide it with a home where it will continue to be loved for many years.

Besides, if he can allocate you a 5D2 with a Zeiss lens and never need to borrow it back, his equipment list must be such that he'll never miss it if you quietly assume ownership.

If a person has a 5D II and they were only to own a single lens, then the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM would be that lens.

I have a number of lenses but don't own that particular lens... I went with the 24-70mm f/2.8L -- but that was because I also purchased the 70-200mm f/2.8L and the two lenses complement each other nicely.   My conundrum (many years ago) was to decide between the 24-70 f/2.8 and the 24-105 f/4.  If I were to ONLY own the 24-70, then I'd probably feel a bit constrained (hence the recommendation that if you only own one auto-focus lens... the 24-105 f/4 is the lens to have with a full-frame body such as a 5D II.)

Even if I had both the 24-70 and the 70-200, I think I'd still want the 24-105 as my third lens. It's small enough and light enough to be a good walking-around lens, which the other two are not. And you'd have to carry both of them if you wanted to cover the range of the 24-105. Since I don't have to do that, I can carry the 16-35mm f/4L, which also isn't very heavy, as my second lens.

Bob

"Even if I had both the 24-70 and the 70-200, I think I'd still want the 24-105 as my third lens."

Bedsides the Canon duo, I have the Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8 and the Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 and the 70-200mm f2.8 and still I have the 24-105mm f4.  Matter of fact I have/had two of them!  It is the Best Buy in a Canon L lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements