cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D mark IV video mode - High Shutter speed issue HELP Please

danzia0122
Apprentice

hi all,

i just got a canon 5D mark IV and i use it mainly for Wedding Videography.

yesterday on my first day using it, while shooting outside,i found out that there is a Flickering line on the right corner of the screen when i shot video on shutter speed of 200.

so, today i run some test and found out as follow

- Video Mode, 160 shutter speed or under, at any ISO values, NO flickering lines. (1st picture)

- Video Mode, 200 shutter speed or higer, at any ISO values, flickering lines shows up and recorded on the file. (2nd picture)

- Photo mode, live view, 200 Shutter speed or higher, at any ISO Values, NO Flickering lines. (3rd picture)

So, it's not LCD problem because the flickering lines is recorded onto the files.

please help..

sample pictures attached.IMG_8038.JPG

IMG_8039.JPGIMG_8040.JPG

6 REPLIES 6

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

In general I think it's recommended to use a slower shutter speed for video, something like 1/30th , 1/60th or maybe 1/125th of a second. This makes for a smoother, more natural looking play back. The slower speeds will also allow for a smaller aperture which will give you a bit more depth of field.

Higher shutter speeds might be needed for fast moving objects or sports shooting but can also produce a choppier, stuttering, almost strobe-like effect on playback. It can be a little jarring to the eyes.

Though this doesn't explain the flickering line you're seeing on the LCD. Hopefully one of the Canon reps will drop by. Does the flickering line show up on your monitor during playback, or only on the camera's LCD?

@BurnUnit wrote:

In general I think it's recommended to use a slower shutter speed for video, something like 1/30th , 1/60th or maybe 1/125th of a second. This makes for a smoother, more natural looking play back. The slower speeds will also allow for a smaller aperture which will give you a bit more depth of field.

Higher shutter speeds might be needed for fast moving objects or sports shooting but can also produce a choppier, stuttering, almost strobe-like effect on playback. It can be a little jarring to the eyes.

Though this doesn't explain the flickering line you're seeing on the LCD. Hopefully one of the Canon reps will drop by. Does the flickering line show up on your monitor during playback, or only on the camera's LCD?

I have a hard time making sense of that explanation. I'm under the impression that the camera takes discrete frames at a fixed rate and that in playback those frames are displayed in sequence to the viewer at the same rate at which they were created. Does the length of time a given frame is displayed depend on the length of the exposure with which it was created? I would have thought not. But if not, what difference would the shutter speed make? I can see why a faster shutter speed would be better at preventing motion blur and a slower one would produce more DOF, but I don't see how either would affect the choppiness of the display.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Here's what seems to be the rule of thumb for video shutter speeds for most commom shooting situations. The use of a too high of a shutter speed seems to be most obvious when there is lots of motion in the frame or when panning. I'd guess that post processing can have an effect on results as well.

https://vimeo.com/blog/post/frame-rate-vs-shutter-speed-setting-the-record-str

I think of it as the video camera's ability to fool the eye, but only up to a certain point. Every now and then you'll see a video posted online that just doesn't have a smooth, natural look in the way it transitions from one frame to the next. I think what happens usually is someone has set their camera to a high speed or "sports" shooting mode and then left it there when shooting something with less panning or slower motion in the frame.

@BurnUnit wrote:

Here's what seems to be the rule of thumb for video shutter speeds for most commom shooting situations. The use of a too high of a shutter speed seems to be most obvious when there is lots of motion in the frame or when panning. I'd guess that post processing can have an effect on results as well.

https://vimeo.com/blog/post/frame-rate-vs-shutter-speed-setting-the-record-str

I think of it as the video camera's ability to fool the eye, but only up to a certain point. Every now and then you'll see a video posted online that just doesn't have a smooth, natural look in the way it transitions from one frame to the next. I think what happens usually is someone has set their camera to a high speed or "sports" shooting mode and then left it there when shooting something with less panning or slower motion in the frame.

Too fast of a shutter speed fails to capture motion blur.  The motion blur helps to smooth out movement.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

Too fast of a shutter speed fails to capture motion blur.  The motion blur helps to smooth out movement.

It's not often that I'm guilty of overthinking things, but maybe this time....

That's a better way to put it. Thanks. You've crystallized my thoughts eloquently. Smiley Wink

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I suggest that you contact Canon US Support.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements