cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D mark III vs 6D Mark II

raksmax
Apprentice
I am opting to buy a Canon full frame DSLR. As 6D Mark II recently got released i was looking for a solution to help me buy between the two. Im currently working on Fashion and wedding photography.
Waiting for the replies.
thanx in advance!!
19 REPLIES 19

What are you using now?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

im using 70D now Bob

Why do you want to upgrade?  What is it that the 70D cannot deliver for you?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@raksmax wrote:
I am opting to buy a Canon full frame DSLR. As 6D Mark II recently got released i was looking for a solution to help me buy between the two. Im currently working on Fashion and wedding photography.
Waiting for the replies.
thanx in advance!!

Well, I have a 5D3 with which I'm very happy, and I've never used (or even seen) a 6D2. So by default I'd have to recommend the 5D3. More broadly, if I were a professional wedding photographer, I'd want a professional-quality camera, and that would be some version of the 5D - probably the 5D4, if the truth be told.

But if I were to decide to go into the wedding photography business (a purely hypothetical proposition), I'd probably stick with what I have (a 5D3 and two 7D's) for at least the time being.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

IMHO, I would go for a 5D Mk III every time.  The 6D line is an entry level series but the 5D line is pro level.  This might not be a factor for you but it would be for me.  Again if it were me I would go for the 80D over the 6D Mk II.

I love the 80D and Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens combo.  It is a tough combo to beat and I don't see the 6D Mk II doing it.  But then again that is me and it is pixel peeping.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

IMHO, I would go for a 5D Mk III every time.  The 6D line is an entry level series but the 5D line is pro level.  This might not be a factor for you but it would be for me.  Again if it were me I would go for the 80D over the 6D Mk II.

I love the 80D and Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens combo.  It is a tough combo to beat and I don't see the 6D Mk II doing it.  But then again that is me and it is pixel peeping.

Ernie, as you know, I had high hopes for the 6D Mark II and having read some of the initial reviews, I was all set to buy one in due course. I was excited about it. 

Then I began reading other, more recent, reviews that complained about the camera's inferior dynamic range on various  review sites, includeing Peta Pixel and DP Review. 

This has now given me pause. I must now consider the REFURBISHED 5D Mark III as the price difference between them is about $100. 

Your view?

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-5d-mark-iii-body-refurbished

All I can say,........

"IMHO, I would go for a 5D Mk III every time."

I am not much of a review reader nor do I put much weight on reviews so I doubt I would let them make my decision.  I have the advantage of owning the 5D, 5D Mk II and the 5D Mk III at one time or another.  The Mk III is a dream come true, a truly fantastic camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

All I can say,........

"IMHO, I would go for a 5D Mk III every time."

I am not much of a review reader nor do I put much weight on reviews so I doubt I would let them make my decision.  I have the advantage of owning the 5D, 5D Mk II and the 5D Mk III at one time or another.  The Mk III is a dream come true, a truly fantastic camera.

You don't read reviews on a new product that you might consider buying?  Would that not lead to learning the hard way that some products are to be avoided or are inferior to others?  Curious as to why you sidestep reviews? 

John.

Totally agreed.

Announcements