cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D iii Mode Knob

jeger
Apprentice
I have several 5D's, the eldest is my backup 5Diii but the rubber has come off of the mode knob. Has anyone any experience with this getting repaired? I had sent my 5Div in after I had jarred it and although the repair was performed all I got was some vague description on the repair and advised my bill was $400 and change. When I called in about the knob I got a it could be 189 or the standard 400 fee for a repair. Seems rather obtuse and rather expensive to replace a knob. I'm a Canon guy to the core and have been for 35 years but this doesn't seem to be a reasonable support effort to customers from Canon. Thanks for your response.
5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Most electronics manufacturers no longer stock board level components for repairs. All they stock are the major circuit boards and multi-board assemblies.

Repairing that knob probably involved changing out the entire assembly of the camera This would have been listed on the service report when it gets sent back.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

When I got my 5D IV back from being serviced I had very little info with it. Had no real idea what they repaired. Was advised that they have a base level charge of $400 but there could be a lesser charge of $189 that could be billed. When a specific issue is given you'd think that they could tell you what the charge would be. When you have comtmon part that is used over years with different models it would be stocked. when you google it it seems that is a fairly common part to have problems with. Simple problem should have a simple solution that they could quote me a price for.

@jeger wrote:
When I got my 5D IV back from being serviced I had very little info with it. Had no real idea what they repaired. Was advised that they have a base level charge of $400 but there could be a lesser charge of $189 that could be billed. When a specific issue is given you'd think that they could tell you what the charge would be. When you have comtmon part that is used over years with different models it would be stocked. when you google it it seems that is a fairly common part to have problems with. Simple problem should have a simple solution that they could quote me a price for.

You really should have gotten a receipt for the parts and labor charged against your credit card.  Your camera should have a service ticket number, or something similarly described, associated with the repair.  Contact Canon with that number and ask.

As far as stocking a “common part” like a control knob goes, I thought I had already explained that.  It costs to much to stock board level components.  There is far too much labor cost to the customer to troubleshoot a circuit board, and repair it.  These practices have been in place since at least the 1980s, and became an industry wide practice By the 2000s..

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

In addition to what is explained above, Canon will probably do a full back to factory adjustment to make sure the rest of the camera isn't effected by the repair.  This is actually what separates Canon from small shops that don't have the ability to do such service. Plus you got a warranty!

I think your best recourse is to call Canon and ask.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@jeger wrote:
I have several 5D's, the eldest is my backup 5Diii but the rubber has come off of the mode knob. Has anyone any experience with this getting repaired? I had sent my 5Div in after I had jarred it and although the repair was performed all I got was some vague description on the repair and advised my bill was $400 and change. When I called in about the knob I got a it could be 189 or the standard 400 fee for a repair. Seems rather obtuse and rather expensive to replace a knob. I'm a Canon guy to the core and have been for 35 years but this doesn't seem to be a reasonable support effort to customers from Canon. Thanks for your response.

If you have that much equipment, you must be at least a semi-professional or very serious amateur. So why aren't you a CPS member? CPS members get treated pretty well/

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements