cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D and 17-40mm 1:4l lense shows corners at 17mm

vincekk
Apprentice

Does somebody have a solution for this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, stacked filters will show on most wide angle lenses.  Even at more standard focal lengths on some lenses.

Might I ask, what is the glass filter?  If it's just a UV filter, take it off when using a polarizer or ND.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Skirball
Authority

SHow corners?  Perhaps the corners of the lens hood?  If that's the case you probably don't have it set properly; make sure it's firmly seated and locked in.  Or, perhaps you're using a 3rd party hood?

There's some amount of vignetting (easily auto-corrected in most processing programs) when on the wide side of the 17-40, but you still get full use of the sensor.

I found it. It is the polarizing filter. It seems that this lense doesn't accept two filters. A glass filter  and the polarizing. Thanks for your feedback it halped me looking at this.

Yes, stacked filters will show on most wide angle lenses.  Even at more standard focal lengths on some lenses.

Might I ask, what is the glass filter?  If it's just a UV filter, take it off when using a polarizer or ND.

And you are probably not using low profile filter. I can stack 2 low profiles filter on 16mm just fine.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

@hsbn wrote:
And you are probably not using low profile filter. I can stack 2 low profiles filter on 16mm just fine.

If it's the Canon 16-35/2.8L II you're referring to, that uses 82mm filters. The 17-40 uses 77mm.  

"Slim" filters tend to be more expensive. And some of them don't have threads on the front, so need a special lens cap.

B+W's "standard" mount filters are pretty slim to begin with (tho they to offer slim, as well)... I've never had any vignetting problems with them on even the widest lenses. But I also would never stack a polarizer on top of a clear "protection" filter. Previous response to remove the clear filter first, before installing the CPL, is correct.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

🙂 ... I often stack ND with CPL to prolong shutter speed because my 3stop ND sometimes is not enough. I may get around to get the 6 stop or 10 stop soon.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

@hsbn wrote:
🙂 ... I often stack ND with CPL to prolong shutter speed because my 3stop ND sometimes is not enough. I may get around to get the 6 stop or 10 stop soon.

Yup, I've done this on my 17-40 and didn't have issue, but I have the B+W XS-Pro CPL, which is super slim.

Announcements