cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D Upgrade

JonnyBoyHardy
Contributor

Hello! I am currently using a 5D Mark II for my photography and video endeavors. While I love the Mark II, it is difficult to ignore the idea of upgrading to either the Mark III or Mark IV (when it comes out). At this point in time, I am torn between (1) continuing to use my Mark II, (2) upgrading to the Mark III (once it decreases in price as a result of the new Mark IV), or (3) going all the way and upgrading to the Mark IV in order to have the newest technology. Obviously the primary issue with the third option is the price; however, if the technology upgrade is significant, I am open to that option. Any advice or comments regarding this dilemma? Thank you!

13 REPLIES 13

ScottyP wrote:

I love the IQ and the low light/high ISO ability of the 6d. Also it was able to focus at -3ev when even the 5d3 could only do -2ev.  

It is not a great video camera, even by DSLR video standards but I don't do video. I am wondering what the 6d2 will bring us.  If you don't see a quick Black Friday sale on 5d4 the day after Thanksgiving you may be in for a wait for its initial price to drop. While waiting to see that it just seems like you may as well also wait to see what specs the 6d2 will offer, and it will definitely be less than the 5d4.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah having an improvement in ISO is a key aspect to me upgrading my camera. I am curious to see whether or not there will be some sort of sale for the 5d4 during the holiday... they might offer some better bundle or something. Do you happen to know how long it usually takes for prices to drop once a new camera is released? Figuring it wont be a fast process, I will keep an eye out to see what the 6d2 ends up looking like... maybe it will see a significant increase in video capability.

Waddizzle wrote:

The 6D is not a good choice for video.  Look for Canon's "Dual Pixel AF", which can AF at real time when recording video. 

One thing that is significant to videographers is the need to able to make video recorded on camera look identical to video recorded on another wall.  Matching exposure and white balance can become tricky, if not near impossible, with DSLRs.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you for the information! I will keep that in mind regarding the 6d. Yeah, having shot with multiple cameras at an event, you are so right about it being nearly impossible to match exposure and white balance.... this is epsecially true with different camera model (I have shot with 5ds and 7ds and events... and they always look different despite having the same settings). All that being said, I have been relatively happy with the 'price to qaulity' of the DSLR's for video. And, because I use them for photography as well, I love the versatility!

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@JonnyBoyHardy wrote:

Hello! I am currently using a 5D Mark II for my photography and video endeavors. While I love the Mark II, it is difficult to ignore the idea of upgrading to either the Mark III or Mark IV (when it comes out). At this point in time, I am torn between (1) continuing to use my Mark II, (2) upgrading to the Mark III (once it decreases in price as a result of the new Mark IV), or (3) going all the way and upgrading to the Mark IV in order to have the newest technology. Obviously the primary issue with the third option is the price; however, if the technology upgrade is significant, I am open to that option. Any advice or comments regarding this dilemma? Thank you!

Wait for the price of the 5D Mk IV to come down. The dual-pixel sensor is a game changer for video, and neither the 5D Mk III or 6D have it.

TTMartin wrote:

Wait for the price of the 5D Mk IV to come down. The dual-pixel sensor is a game changer for video, and neither the 5D Mk III or 6D have it.

Thank you for the info! I just researched the dual-pixel sensor and it looks awesome! Thankfully I am pretty content with my 5d2 so waiting is not a big deal. Do you happen to know how long it usually takes for Canon to drop the price of a new camera?

Announcements