Canon Community Canon Community
 


Reply
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎08-30-2016

Canon 5D Upgrade

Hello! I am currently using a 5D Mark II for my photography and video endeavors. While I love the Mark II, it is difficult to ignore the idea of upgrading to either the Mark III or Mark IV (when it comes out). At this point in time, I am torn between (1) continuing to use my Mark II, (2) upgrading to the Mark III (once it decreases in price as a result of the new Mark IV), or (3) going all the way and upgrading to the Mark IV in order to have the newest technology. Obviously the primary issue with the third option is the price; however, if the technology upgrade is significant, I am open to that option. Any advice or comments regarding this dilemma? Thank you!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 1,861
Registered: ‎12-02-2012

Re: Canon 5D Upgrade

Another possibility may be to go ahead and wait for 5d4 prices to come down (or for 5d3 prices to crater once on clearance after being discontinued) but while waiting, in 6 months or so they will announce the 6d2. Depending on its specs, and on your camera uses and needs, that might be a good fit for a good price. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Highlighted
VIP
Posts: 9,928
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: Canon 5D Upgrade

[ Edited ]

"Hello! I am currently using a 5D Mark II for my photography and video endeavors.  ...  .."

 

What is "wrong" with the 5D2?  There are better video options from Canon out there, like a C100 [Mark II] with dual pixel AF.  There are better photo options from Canon out there, too, like a 1Dx Mark II. 

 

I think the 5D4 has the potential to be a REALLY great camera, but the master of nothing.  There are Canon offerings that meet, or exceed, the 5D4 in nearly every area of performance, except for that variable focus thingy, whatever that is.

 

I think you just may be at the point where you may want to look at specialized cameras, instead of a general purpose workhorse like a 5D4.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎08-30-2016

Re: Canon 5D Upgrade

Thanks for the respone Scott! I hadn't thought about the 6d2 option. I see you shoot with a 6D... how do you like it? Have you used the video capablity much on the 6d? I have not researched that camera very much. Any Thanks again for your response. 

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎08-30-2016

Re: Canon 5D Upgrade

Thank you for your response Waddizzle. One thing that I would like with a newer camera is the higher ISO capability. The 5d2 is not bad, but the newer ones are definitely nicer in that regard. I see your point about considering a more specialized type of camera. One thing that has always bothered me about the 5d is how the video capability is limited for such an expensive camera (compared to other DLSR camera options on the market). I understand that Canon doesn't want to take away the demand for their video cameras, but it would just be nice if the video could be a bit more advanced. How do you like your 6d for video? Do you think the 6d2 would be a good option instead of the high cost of the new 5d? Thanks for the response?

Highlighted
VIP
Posts: 9,928
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: Canon 5D Upgrade


@JonnyBoyHardy wrote:

Thank you for your response Waddizzle. One thing that I would like with a newer camera is the higher ISO capability. The 5d2 is not bad, but the newer ones are definitely nicer in that regard. I see your point about considering a more specialized type of camera. One thing that has always bothered me about the 5d is how the video capability is limited for such an expensive camera (compared to other DLSR camera options on the market). I understand that Canon doesn't want to take away the demand for their video cameras, but it would just be nice if the video could be a bit more advanced. How do you like your 6d for video? Do you think the 6d2 would be a good option instead of the high cost of the new 5d? Thanks for the response?


The 6D is not a good choice for video.  Look for Canon's "Dual Pixel AF", which can AF at real time when recording video. 

 

One thing that is significant to videographers is the need to able to make video recorded on camera look identical to video recorded on another wall.  Matching exposure and white balance can become tricky, if not near impossible, with DSLRs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 1,861
Registered: ‎12-02-2012

Re: Canon 5D Upgrade

I love the IQ and the low light/high ISO ability of the 6d. Also it was able to focus at -3ev when even the 5d3 could only do -2ev.  

 

It is not a great video camera, even by DSLR video standards but I don't do video. I am wondering what the 6d2 will bring us.  If you don't see a quick Black Friday sale on 5d4 the day after Thanksgiving you may be in for a wait for its initial price to drop. While waiting to see that it just seems like you may as well also wait to see what specs the 6d2 will offer, and it will definitely be less than the 5d4. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 5,484
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: Canon 5D Upgrade


@ScottyP wrote:

I love the IQ and the low light/high ISO ability of the 6d. Also it was able to focus at -3ev when even the 5d3 could only do -2ev.  

 

It is not a great video camera, even by DSLR video standards but I don't do video. I am wondering what the 6d2 will bring us.  If you don't see a quick Black Friday sale on 5d4 the day after Thanksgiving you may be in for a wait for its initial price to drop. While waiting to see that it just seems like you may as well also wait to see what specs the 6d2 will offer, and it will definitely be less than the 5d4. 


Isn't the greatest drawback of the 6D its rather primitive AF system? That's where I might expect an improvement.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Highlighted
VIP
Posts: 9,928
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: Canon 5D Upgrade


@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ScottyP wrote:

I love the IQ and the low light/high ISO ability of the 6d. Also it was able to focus at -3ev when even the 5d3 could only do -2ev.  

 

It is not a great video camera, even by DSLR video standards but I don't do video. I am wondering what the 6d2 will bring us.  If you don't see a quick Black Friday sale on 5d4 the day after Thanksgiving you may be in for a wait for its initial price to drop. While waiting to see that it just seems like you may as well also wait to see what specs the 6d2 will offer, and it will definitely be less than the 5d4. 


Isn't the greatest drawback of the 6D its rather primitive AF system? That's where I might expect an improvement.


Yes, you have a point.  The 6D is pretty basic camera, but with excellent IQ and ISO performance.  I suspect that any 6D2 in the offering will be something somewhere between an 80D and a 5D3, but with a FF sensor, of course.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 1,861
Registered: ‎12-02-2012

Re: Canon 5D Upgrade


@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ScottyP wrote:

I love the IQ and the low light/high ISO ability of the 6d. Also it was able to focus at -3ev when even the 5d3 could only do -2ev.  

 

It is not a great video camera, even by DSLR video standards but I don't do video. I am wondering what the 6d2 will bring us.  If you don't see a quick Black Friday sale on 5d4 the day after Thanksgiving you may be in for a wait for its initial price to drop. While waiting to see that it just seems like you may as well also wait to see what specs the 6d2 will offer, and it will definitely be less than the 5d4. 


Isn't the greatest drawback of the 6D its rather primitive AF system? That's where I might expect an improvement.


Yes, you have a point.  The 6D is pretty basic camera, but with excellent IQ and ISO performance.  I suspect that any 6D2 in the offering will be something somewhere between an 80D and a 5D3, but with a FF sensor, of course.

Improved AF is my assumption as well.  I think they undershot in their goal of making sure the 6d's features were basic enough not to siphon sales from 5d3 even back then with the very basic AF.  It works for me but I would expect the 6d2 to have greatly improved AF considering the AF points even the Rebel type cameras are getting these days. 
Really a better AF and maybe a bit more of the great high ISO IQ is all I am looking for. 

 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
powered by Lithium

LIKE US on Facebook FOLLOW US on Twitter WATCH US on YouTube CONNECT WITH US on Linkedin WATCH US on Vimeo FOLLOW US on Instagram SHOP CANON at the Canon Online Store
© Canon U.S.A., Inc.   |    Terms of Use   |    Privacy Statement