cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D S doesn't Meter Correctly

dagibbo1
Apprentice

Recently purchased the Canon 5DS, love it, but when have clickig to meter, it isn't coming up correctly, it will bounce all over the place, saying it's over exposed, then taking the photo it's exposed correctly, or I'll change either shutter, ISO, or aperture, to bring the meter bar to 0, and the photo is aweful, please help.

Gib.

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
If you aren't sure it's working correctly take it back to store. Have them help you or replace it.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

amfoto1
Authority

@dagibbo1 wrote:

Recently purchased the Canon 5DS, love it, but when have clickig to meter, it isn't coming up correctly, it will bounce all over the place, saying it's over exposed, then taking the photo it's exposed correctly, or I'll change either shutter, ISO, or aperture, to bring the meter bar to 0, and the photo is aweful, please help.

Gib.

Hi Gib,

Not really enough info here for us to help you.

Reading your request it sounds as if the camera is exposing correctly in the auto modes (Av, Tv, P are auto modes). Yes, reflective meters such as are used in cameras tend to react rapidly to what's in front of them and the readings can appear to bounce around a lot in certain situations. But if your images in these auto expsoure modes appear correctly exposed, then it sounds as if the camera is working properly.

I'm guessing you switched to M or manual mode in order to change shutter/ISO/aperture, trying to center the meter readout indicator, when you say the photos are not exposed correctly. Not knowing you or your experience with DSLRs, SLRs, cameras or light meters in general, it sounds as if you are doing something wrong. Manual mode relies upon the photogapher and their judgment and experience to set the camera up properly to make a correct exposure. 

While I suspect that it's just a matter of learning to use the camera, it's certainly also possible there's a fault with the one you got and you may want to get in touch with the seller. Sorry, but can't really help much more without more detailed info from you.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@dagibbo1 wrote:

Gib.

If your metering is changing erratically it sounds like you are in 'Spot' metering mode. 

Spot metering does just that meters a small spot, this means even small chnages in camera position can mean big changes in what is being metered off of.

Try changing the camera back to 'Evaluative Metering' for more consistant results.

Announcements