cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D Mkii shutter availability ?

TrevorDK
Apprentice

The shutter for one of my 5D bodies seems to have gone. Interestingly, it still sounds ok, but I get the 'No Image' on the display screen and there's no picture recorded on the card!

I've been told today by a camera technician that Canon no longer supplies 5D Mkii shutters, as this has been phased out, is this correct?   I'm concerned long term as have several Mkii bodies I use for multiple camera time-lapse work, so they clock up a high shutter count.   Sure, I appreciate we can purchase through Ebay and mail order, but it would be good to know if Canon still supply ...

4 REPLIES 4

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I've been told today by a camera technician ..."

Obvious question why didn't you ask Canon?  I suspect the Mk II is out of service life, however.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Canon South Africa told our technician it was no longer supported, so thought I would double-check. 

@TrevorDK wrote:

The shutter for one of my 5D bodies seems to have gone. Interestingly, it still sounds ok, but I get the 'No Image' on the display screen and there's no picture recorded on the card!

I've been told today by a camera technician that Canon no longer supplies 5D Mkii shutters, as this has been phased out, is this correct?   I'm concerned long term as have several Mkii bodies I use for multiple camera time-lapse work, so they clock up a high shutter count.   Sure, I appreciate we can purchase through Ebay and mail order, but it would be good to know if Canon still supply ...

Has a qualified Canon technician actually diagnosed your camera? The symptoms you describe aren't exactly those usually reported when the problem is a broken shutter.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Just following up on this, yes correct Bob... the camera technician fitted another shutter and same issue, so gather it must be the circuit board that's failed. Given the cost of a replacement board and fitting being about $500, it's sadly the end of the road  for this camera, having just bought it from a dealer seven months ago, so it was just a month after the six-month shop warrantee! It only had 31k actuations compared to my other 5dMk2 body that has 200k and is still going strong, not that it's shutter related. 

Announcements