Canon Community Canon Community
 


Reply
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎05-21-2017

Canon 5D Mk IV FTPS mode

Hello Everyone,

 

Has somebody managed to connect with Canon 5D Mk IV to FTPS server (Secure FTP)?

FTP (unsecure) is quite simple but I am unable to install FileZilla's SSL Certificate on my camera - of course if there is no certificate, there is no connection to FTPS. I have no problem connecting to my FTPS server from a number of FTP Clients, including from iPhone but my Canon 5D Mk IV just fails in this.

Canon Support replied that FTPS is not supported but I don't believe Canon would include this option in firmware and documented in Manual if it was not supposed to be supported.

 

Thanks for your help

 

best regards

 

Andre

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 4,916
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: Canon 5D Mk IV FTPS mode

What manual are you referring to? A search of the 5D4 Instruction Manual fails to turn up a reference to "FTPS" or "secure FTP". (Plenty of references to "FTP", though.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎05-21-2017

Re: Canon 5D Mk IV FTPS mode

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 4,916
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: Canon 5D Mk IV FTPS mode


@albasdad wrote:

Canon Wireless instructions manual..

 

http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/contents/ASIA/EN/0302609901.html

 


That manual is for the 77D, a more recent camera than the 5D Mk IV. Maybe a future firmware upgrade will make that capability available on the 5D4, but it's not surprising that it's lacking today.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎05-21-2017

Re: Canon 5D Mk IV FTPS mode

No, it's for 5D Mk IV

 

http://support-th.canon-asia.com/contents/TH/EN/0302497501.html

EOS 5D Mark IV (WG) Wi-Fi (Wireless Communication) Function Instruction Manual

Last Updated : 24-Aug-2016
Issue Number : 0302497501

Outline

The file is a manual (PDF file) for EOS 5D Mark IV (WG).

 

Besides, FTPS is an option in the Camera when setting up FTP connection.

 

 

regards

 

andre

 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 4,916
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: Canon 5D Mk IV FTPS mode


@albasdad wrote:

No, it's for 5D Mk IV

 

http://support-th.canon-asia.com/contents/TH/EN/0302497501.html

EOS 5D Mark IV (WG) Wi-Fi (Wireless Communication) Function Instruction Manual

Last Updated : 24-Aug-2016
Issue Number : 0302497501

Outline

The file is a manual (PDF file) for EOS 5D Mark IV (WG).

 

Besides, FTPS is an option in the Camera when setting up FTP connection.

 

 

regards

 

andre

 


But that's not the link you posted in the message to which I replied. That link points to a wireless communications manual for the 77D.

 

In any event, the 5D4 version of the manual does tell you how to import the certificate. My guess is that there's something wrong with the certificate you're trying to import.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎05-21-2017

Re: Canon 5D Mk IV FTPS mode

Hey, I read the manual back and forth and crosswise to look for hidden clues :-(

 

Wrong certificate is certainly a possibility...but excatly the same certificate has been successully imported & installed on 5 different FTP clients (including iPhone and Android mobile devices). 

 

Have you actually installed externally generated certificate on 5D Mk IV ? If so - what system did it come from (the certificate, I mean) ?

 

thanks

 

a

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 4,916
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: Canon 5D Mk IV FTPS mode


@albasdad wrote:

Hey, I read the manual back and forth and crosswise to look for hidden clues :-(

 

Wrong certificate is certainly a possibility...but excatly the same certificate has been successully imported & installed on 5 different FTP clients (including iPhone and Android mobile devices). 

 

Have you actually installed externally generated certificate on 5D Mk IV ? If so - what system did it come from (the certificate, I mean) ?

 

thanks

 

a


How exactly are you trying to put the certificate on the card, and what error message do you get? I'd start by using a card reader, rather than trying to download the certificate directly. And if you have succeeded in writing it to the card, are you sure it's the right card? The 5D4 must have two card slots (since the 5D3 does); presumably the certificate has to be on the card that's in use. (I'm assuming that the certificate doesn't get stored permanently within the camera, but I didn't read enough of the manual to be sure of that.)

 

And no, I've never installed a certificate on a camera. This is all new to me.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Occasional Contributor
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎05-21-2017

Re: Canon 5D Mk IV FTPS mode

I did it exactly as the manual explains...copy it on the CF Flash card,then install the cert from the card in the camera...Cannot load the certificate.

I appreciate your willingness to help but if you don't have the 5D4 and try to install a cert on it at hand, it's a futile effort.

The problem is, imho, tricky and requires a detailed insight into what's going on - maybe even a code of the firmware.

 

rgs

 

andre

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 4,916
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: Canon 5D Mk IV FTPS mode

[ Edited ]

@albasdad wrote:

I did it exactly as the manual explains...copy it on the CF Flash card,then install the cert from the card in the camera...Cannot load the certificate.

I appreciate your willingness to help but if you don't have the 5D4 and try to install a cert on it at hand, it's a futile effort.

The problem is, imho, tricky and requires a detailed insight into what's going on - maybe even a code of the firmware.

 

rgs

 

andre


What's the error message?

 

The note at the bottom of page 80 seems to indicate that the certificate must be loaded from the active card. Also note that if you have automatic card switching set, and if you remove the active card from the camera, the camera will switch to the other card and remain there until you reset it. Is it possible that that's what's been happening to you and that the camera is looking for the certificate on the wrong card? One easy test is to copy the certificate to both cards; then you don't care where it looks.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
powered by Lithium

LIKE US on Facebook FOLLOW US on Twitter WATCH US on YouTube CONNECT WITH US on Linkedin WATCH US on Vimeo FOLLOW US on Instagram SHOP CANON at the Canon Online Store
© Canon U.S.A., Inc.   |    Terms of Use   |    Privacy Statement