cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D Mk III firmware update failure

Foodipedia
Contributor

It is the first time that I try to update the firmware of my 5D Mk III ever since I purchased it 7 years ago :P. However, after I downloaded the FIR file (around 17.56 MB for 1.3.6) in both my PC and a formatted SD Card, I coud not complete the update neither with EOS Utility nor the SD Card inserted inside the camera.

After the LCD screen shows firmware update is loading....., it turns blank. It is not switched off as the screen is still slightly illuminating. Then it just hanged there until the screen is automatically switched off. I switched off the camera and on again, the setting still shows the original firmware (1.1.2). Luckily , I still can operate the camera with the old firmware. I tried the update process again many times but it still stuck at the same stage.

Is the update failure owing to migration from a too old firmware to the latest one? How can I fix the issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Foodipedia wrote:
Is there a real difference between update with CF card or SD card? My card is a plain SDHC card. Quite reluctant to format my CF card. I formatted the SD in the camera.

It doesn’t work even with EOS Utility.

I saved the file name with FIR extension. Already downloaded the FIR file again but it still does not work.

If you are certain that the cards are good, that you use them in the camera to save photos, then that is a problem, If it is still not working for you with the EOS Utility, then you should contact Canon Support for assistance.

I'm curious, though.  You have used the camera for years without ever updating the firmware.  Why now?   Is this to correct some issue you are having with the camera?  What is the driving reason to update the camera after so many years?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

"You have used the camera for years without ever updating the firmware.  Why now?"

I often wonder why people do this when there is no benefit.  If there isn't an issue that is fixed or a lens that doesn't work, other gear, etc, there is no reason to update the FW. You will notice nothing when it is successful.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Foodipedia wrote:
Is there a real difference between update with CF card or SD card? My card is a plain SDHC card. Quite reluctant to format my CF card. I formatted the SD in the camera.

It doesn’t work even with EOS Utility.

I saved the file name with FIR extension. Already downloaded the FIR file again but it still does not work.

If you are certain that the cards are good, that you use them in the camera to save photos, then that is a problem, If it is still not working for you with the EOS Utility, then you should contact Canon Support for assistance.

I'm curious, though.  You have used the camera for years without ever updating the firmware.  Why now?   Is this to correct some issue you are having with the camera?  What is the driving reason to update the camera after so many years?

It is never a good idea to use CF or SD cards as a storage medium. That should be done on a series of hard drives as geographically dispersed as you can manage.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

It is never a good idea to use CF or SD cards as a storage medium. That should be done on a series of hard drives as geographically dispersed as you can manage.

???  I do not think anyone is using memory cards for long term storage in this case.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Foodipedia
Contributor
You can say that I am lazy 😅. I just did the FW update with my second camera, a Fuji XE3, that was easy and smooth. So that’s why I wanted to do the same for 5D.

Foodipedia
Contributor
Of course, I use PC for permanent storage. But have no habit of formatting the CF card. Only deleted old photos when the card is out of space.

Foodipedia
Contributor
Just checked with Canon support. They need to charge firmware update fee in addition to inspection fees (as warranty expired long time ago). Perhaps forget the update if there is no significant benefit 😞

"... forget the update if there is no significant benefit "

Smart idea! Don't mess with what is already working well.

EB

I started using my Canon 5D Mark II (purchased in 2007) after several years of non use.  It was working fine and actually bought AC battern adaptor and astrophotography adaptor for it. Current firmware is vers 2.0.9 .  I saw a free firmware update  on the Canon site for ver 2.1.2 but when the camera completed the upload it indicated file read failure.  

The camera is stuck in the firmware update when it is powered on and the firmware update always fails with a file read error. I have downloaded using both the windows 10 pro and macos 10.15.3 versions, used existing  CF cards with pictures which were formated in the camera to save the firmware file, fresh  formated fat32 on CF cards of size 32gb udma 7 delkin and 9gb Lex. 

The camera remains BRICKED  in firmware update dialog on power up.  In this firmware update mode, the camera powers up to load firmware from the CF card even if the power switch is in the off off position.

You post indicated Canon required you to pay firmware update fee in addition to inspection fee.  Am I being held hostage for the same reason.  I didn't see anythin on the Canon web site stating that the self firmware downloads require you to pay a fee if your warranty has expired?

Does anyone know how to reset a Canon 5D mark ii  in Firmware Update mode?  Is there one or more buttons that need to be pressed when power is applied or a pressure switch somewhere to force a reset.  I would be happy to go back to vers 2.0.9 .

Self-downloads are free. However, if you have Canon recover your bricked camera you have to pay the fee.

The title of the thread says 5D Mk III but your post mentions a Mk II.  Is that what you have a Mk II?  Did you ask Canon if they still service a Mk II?  If they do you need to set up a repair ticket and send it in.  Don't mess with it further.

EB
Announcements