Canon Community Canon Community

VIP

Re: Canon 5D Mk III firmware update failure

"You have used the camera for years without ever updating the firmware.  Why now?"

I often wonder why people do this when there is no benefit.  If there isn't an issue that is fixed or a lens that doesn't work, other gear, etc, there is no reason to update the FW. You will notice nothing when it is successful.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Honored Contributor

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Foodipedia wrote:
Is there a real difference between update with CF card or SD card? My card is a plain SDHC card. Quite reluctant to format my CF card. I formatted the SD in the camera.

It doesn’t work even with EOS Utility.

I saved the file name with FIR extension. Already downloaded the FIR file again but it still does not work.

If you are certain that the cards are good, that you use them in the camera to save photos, then that is a problem, If it is still not working for you with the EOS Utility, then you should contact Canon Support for assistance.

I'm curious, though.  You have used the camera for years without ever updating the firmware.  Why now?   Is this to correct some issue you are having with the camera?  What is the driving reason to update the camera after so many years?

It is never a good idea to use CF or SD cards as a storage medium. That should be done on a series of hard drives as geographically dispersed as you can manage.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
VIP

@RobertTheFat wrote:

It is never a good idea to use CF or SD cards as a storage medium. That should be done on a series of hard drives as geographically dispersed as you can manage.

???  I do not think anyone is using memory cards for long term storage in this case.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Occasional Contributor

You can say that I am lazy 😅. I just did the FW update with my second camera, a Fuji XE3, that was easy and smooth. So that’s why I wanted to do the same for 5D.
Occasional Contributor

Of course, I use PC for permanent storage. But have no habit of formatting the CF card. Only deleted old photos when the card is out of space.
Occasional Contributor

Just checked with Canon support. They need to charge firmware update fee in addition to inspection fees (as warranty expired long time ago). Perhaps forget the update if there is no significant benefit Smiley Sad
Highlighted
VIP

"... forget the update if there is no significant benefit "

Smart idea! Don't mess with what is already working well.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!