cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D Mk III firmware update failure

Foodipedia
Contributor

It is the first time that I try to update the firmware of my 5D Mk III ever since I purchased it 7 years ago :P. However, after I downloaded the FIR file (around 17.56 MB for 1.3.6) in both my PC and a formatted SD Card, I coud not complete the update neither with EOS Utility nor the SD Card inserted inside the camera.

After the LCD screen shows firmware update is loading....., it turns blank. It is not switched off as the screen is still slightly illuminating. Then it just hanged there until the screen is automatically switched off. I switched off the camera and on again, the setting still shows the original firmware (1.1.2). Luckily , I still can operate the camera with the old firmware. I tried the update process again many times but it still stuck at the same stage.

Is the update failure owing to migration from a too old firmware to the latest one? How can I fix the issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Foodipedia wrote:
Is there a real difference between update with CF card or SD card? My card is a plain SDHC card. Quite reluctant to format my CF card. I formatted the SD in the camera.

It doesn’t work even with EOS Utility.

I saved the file name with FIR extension. Already downloaded the FIR file again but it still does not work.

If you are certain that the cards are good, that you use them in the camera to save photos, then that is a problem, If it is still not working for you with the EOS Utility, then you should contact Canon Support for assistance.

I'm curious, though.  You have used the camera for years without ever updating the firmware.  Why now?   Is this to correct some issue you are having with the camera?  What is the driving reason to update the camera after so many years?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
You might try a different card. Download the file again.

Insert only one card in the camera. Format the card in the camera. Make sure the file is in the correct folder

However, it is best to stop and call Canon.

I have formatted the SD card many times, inserted only the SD card in the camera and put the FIR in the root directory. However, the issue remains the same. Probably will try to call Canon support later.

Make sure the file is named correctly and not something like file.ext1.ext2 with an extra incorrect extension. Use the file info (on a mac) or file properties on a PC.

@Foodipedia wrote:

I have formatted the SD card many times, inserted only the SD card in the camera and put the FIR in the root directory. However, the issue remains the same. Probably will try to call Canon support later.

Download the file again.  Your first download may have been corrupt.  Formatting the card in the camera is best, but formatting in computer works, too.  You must pay attention to format when you use a PC or a Mac..  

You could also do a firmware update via USB using the EOS Utlity, too.  

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"How can I fix the issue?"

First I think you need to use the CF card not the SD card. Copy the FW to the CF card with out any thing else on that CF card.  Just the FW file. Nothing else.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Peter
Authority
Authority
If you use a wifi card like Eye-fi others have had issues with firmware updating 5D III. Canon solved the issue with firmware 1.2.1.

Foodipedia
Contributor
Is there a real difference between update with CF card or SD card? My card is a plain SDHC card. Quite reluctant to format my CF card. I formatted the SD in the camera.

I saved the file name with FIR extension. Already downloaded the FIR file again but it still does not work.

"Is there a real difference between update with CF card or SD card?"

I have never done a FW update with the SD card. Always, only, the CF card. Typically the CF slot is slot 1.

"Quite reluctant to format my CF card."

What?  Smiley Surprised You should format it often.  I do so before every important shoot.

Format the CF card put just the FW update on it. Nothing else. Follow the FW update instructions exactly.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@Foodipedia wrote:

If you are certain that the cards are good, that you use them in the camera to save photos, then that is a problem, If it is still not working for you with the EOS Utility, then you should contact Canon Support for assistance.

I'm curious, though.  You have used the camera for years without ever updating the firmware.  Why now?   Is this to correct some issue you are having with the camera?  What is the driving reason to update the camera after so many years?

Announcements