cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D Mark iii Shutter Slowing down

llehmann
Enthusiast
When shooting in Single Shooting drive mode. I've noticed that my shutter will start to sound like it's in silent mode.

The normal clack of the shutter flipping stops making that noise and it sounds like silent mode even though I didn't change it.

If I shoot a burst of images.. I can notice some banding on the image being caused my the curtain not moving fast enough. This was shooting at 1/160th.

If I just shoot one shot, wait a second, shoot another... It doesn't create the banding on the bottom of the image.

I am guessing that the motor needs to be replaced. Basically a full shutter replacement.

Anyone else experience this? Thoughts on what else it could be?
6 REPLIES 6

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Very first thing to do is reset the Mk III to factory.

There is no motor to speak of the shutter uses an electro magnet to operate the shutter. If you do need a new shutter, which I would certainly do, you will get the entire assembly. All brand new!

A sample photo would be nice to see.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

llehmann
Enthusiast
Photo of what? The banding in the images?
Or do you want to see a video of the camera in action?

Image showing the banding when shooting multiple images in a row

Image with banding when Shooting high speed

Image with no banding when shooting a single image at a time and waiting a second between shots

Image without banding when shooting slowly

llehmann
Enthusiast

Here is a video showing the problem.

Noticed that if I turn the camera sideways or upside down.. the shutter noise changes as well.

Here's the video link:

[video]

Yea a sample of the "banding".  The banding looks like moire to me.  That is not a shutter problem.  However it does sound like you do have a shutter issue.  You did do the factory reset first?  You must do that if you did not.

Otherwise call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666 ask for a C&C and tell them exactly what the problem is.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements