cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D Mark ii missing firmware version

cpcw06
Apprentice

Just purchased an old 5D Mark ii and I am trying to update the firmware.  The camera menu seems to be a bit short though.  There is no firmware version section at all.  I have tried to update it using the EOS utility on the computer, but the firmware section there is greyed out and I can not select it.  Any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Select P mode (program) and see if the menu selection for firmware shows up.

Thanks for that!  Didn't even pay attention to what mode it was already set to. 

@cpcw06 wrote:

Just purchased an old 5D Mark ii and I am trying to update the firmware.  The camera menu seems to be a bit short though.  There is no firmware version section at all.  I have tried to update it using the EOS utility on the computer, but the firmware section there is greyed out and I can not select it.  Any ideas?

It sounds as though the first thing you should do is download the camera's user manual. Even if a printed manual came with the camera, it may not be the complete (or latest) version. A manual you download from the Canon site will be.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Make sure you get it from the support site, not the "manual" site. The manual site usually only has the "Basic Information Manual" (i.e., the summary that is pringed and included with the camera).

@kvbarkley wrote:

Make sure you get it from the support site, not the "manual" site. The manual site usually only has the "Basic Information Manual" (i.e., the summary that is pringed and included with the camera).

Excellent advice! .@cpcw06 Here's a shortcut to our site where you can get the most current firmware, software, and every manual that's available for download for the 5D Mark II: CLICK HERE

We hope this helps, but if you find that you get stuck, don't hesitate to reach out to support at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666). They're available weekdays from 9am to 9pm (ET) and Saturdays from 9am to 7pm (ET). 

@kvbarkley wrote:

Make sure you get it from the support site, not the "manual" site. The manual site usually only has the "Basic Information Manual" (i.e., the summary that is prin[t]ed and included with the camera).

Sorry, my bad! I had no idea there was a separate "manual" site.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

That's OK, it took me a while to figure that out, too.

Googling "Canon Manuals" was just so *easy*.

Announcements