cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D Mark IV error lost confidence in product

AMCLARSSON
Contributor

Hi all, This is my first post!

I got a new 5D Mark IV which I began using today.

1.) On the top LCD screen it displayed an error code 'err cr2d..' it flashed very quickly before disappearing and the main LCD screen was blank. The retailer is collecting the camera for a refund as they only have them available on a 5-7 day delivery now. Are there widespread issues with this model?

2.) I am opting for a 5D Mark III instead, simply because I have always thought the longer a model has been out the more likely it is to be fault free'. This episode kind of proved that to be true. What are your thoughts on that?

3.) I have one more question - the menu is dramatically different from what I came from (6D, upgrading for several reasons - build quality for one) and I began noticing things like 'Electronic lens MF' which isn't mentioned in the manual. I began thinking whether this error may have been to do with this feature and I may not have set up the camera to lens correctly. Or is there something else I am not considering?

I have never experienced an error with Canon cameras so this made me lose confidence in this product.

(FYI - I switched between a Canon EF 24-70mm 2.8 L II to a Canon EF 50mm 1.4 during shoot)

Thanks in advance.

34 REPLIES 34

Thanks Waddizle. So maybe a low level format after using them and a format for new cards?

I have always waited until a product has been on the market for a while before I use them. I used to work for an electronics company and know most new products are full of bugs. I am not aware of this being the case with cameras though can imagine it being true. Thats why I thought it might be a smart move to get a 5D3 now and maybe upgrade to a 5D4 in a couple of years.

I don't do much post processing. I am pretty old school. Standard darkroom techniques to digital, contrast boost etc. I may use clarity. But newspapers do not like retouched photos. Thats a good idea, I shall check with Adobe today asI use lightroom quite a bit.

I like the look of the 1DX though the price tag puts me off. The only times I have seen them used is by people with a lot of money, or in the army where its provided to their staff photographers.

Sorry to hear you are having troubles with your 5D4.  I do not think there is any issue with the "model".  I have a 5D4 and it's working great.  I also own a 5D3 and given the choice, I'd definitely go with the 5D4 (it's a nice upgrade over a 5D3). 

The 5D4 has had a smooth launch - no real complaints have surfaced on it.  The Internet will latch on to any excuse to declare a product a failure.  They did that with the 5D3 claiming it had a "light leak" problem that impacted the accuracy of the metering system.  But when you read what people had to do to reproduce the "light leak" problem you'd probably roll your eyes (you would never be able to replicate the issue under normal use).  Nonetheless, Canon added some light-proof tape around the metering system to make everyone happy.  

As for the format...

The memory card, just like a disk drive, isn't useful unless it has a "filesystem" on it that is recognized by whatever needs to use that filesystem.  But the media itself isn't build with any kind of "filesystem".  It's just unorganized space.  If it were a physical disk you would need to format it to work on a Mac, or a Windows PC, or a Linux box, etc. and all of these would use a different type of filesystem format.

But there's also the notion that the media itself may have a defect (even brand new media)... attempting to write to an area with a defect would fail.

So the 'format' operation normally establishes some sort of organization for the media, puts a filesystem on it, and writes to each block on the media to verify that it works (most filesystems have a notion of being able to mark blocks as 'bad' if it finds an issue so that they wont be used.)

A high-level format is really a bit of a cheat.  It just sets up the filesystem organization but doesn't test it (it assumes it's ok.)  If there actually IS a problem with the media then this would cause an error.

You do not need to do a low-level format every time you format a card, but you SHOULD do a low level format at least once with each new card you buy and that format must be done in the camera itself (don't put the card in a reader connected to your computer and have the computer do the format.  Make the camera do it.)

As for the memory cards... 

I am extremely fussy about what cards I buy and use.  I'm even more fussy because I see numerous complaints about "camera model x stops recording video after just a few seconds".  And invariably... they bought some budget card and trusted that just because the label says its a fast card it must obviously not be a card problem.  And of course... it's almost always the card and not the camera.  It's extremely common to see complaints here on the user forums that are really caused by use of a bad card but the consumer thought it was a problem with the camera.

I refuse to buy from an Amazon Marketplace seller and you really have to be careful.  Amazon Marketplace is as bad as buying from eBay.  Sellers defraud buyers and while Amazon will shut them down as soon as they find out (with enough complaints) those sellers simply create an account under a new name and keep right on selling.

If you want a genuine SanDisk brand card then I would go to the Sandisk website, click the "where to buy" and they'll get you a list of authorized retailers so you can be sure you're getting a SanDisk product from a retailer who is actually getting their supply direct from SanDisk and not a forgery with a convincing looking label (the counterfeiters are very good at making these).  If you buy from Amazon, make sure it says "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com" in the seller info to make sure it's really Amazon and not an Amazon marketplace seller.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks Tim,

Much appreciated for your reply. So to clarify, perform a low level format upon initial entry to the camera and then a general format after that? Cards I have used already (as I have not performed a low level format whatsoever), should be formatted (to wipe files) then low level formatted to 'organise' them?

The memory cards i am buying are from San Disk on Amazon, and inpsired by this thread I contacted San Disk who confirmed they are an approved seller on there. I will not buy from a third party unless approved.

The subject  of this thread spilled into memory cards and we don't even know if it is a bad memory card that caused it. The error does not match that of any Canon lists on their site or in the manual. So I am assuming it was just a bad camera. I have never had an issue with any Canon camera, I still judge the 5D2 to be the best I have had so far.

Thanks for your time, truly appreciated. 

Waddizzle!

Which camera do you think I should get as a stills photographer working in photojournalism. Much of my work is in arid environments and I embed with armed forces occasionally. I may do film, but its not something Ilean towards much if I am honest. Its nice to have just in case.

5D Mark 3 or 5D Mark 4?

@AMCLARSSON wrote:

I performed a standard format - there was no need to perform a low level format. I have also been told that if using fast cards there is no need. I have never condiered doing one and thus, never looked into what it does. Please can you enlightened me?

The 5D Mk IV uses standard CF cards, NOT CFast cards like the 1DX Mk II

Yes, but I was using an SD card.

@AMCLARSSON wrote:

Yes, but I was using an SD card.

Was the camera set to record to the SD card slot?

Yes. In fact it was the only card in there and the only option automatically available. I don't think this error occurred because of an SD card.

Basically a standard format just deletes the file allocation table and the images on the card might be recoverable using a recovery software. 

Low level format fills all the space on the card with zeros no matter what is there. Partitions or folders or files everything is gone. If a partition gets screwed up low level format can fix it for instance.

I am one, along with Tim Campbell, that doesn't trust Amazon.  Buy your cards from B&H, Adorama, Roberts, Best Buy, etc.  Big know good retailers that will sell you the card in the Sandisk or Lexar packaging.  If something was wrong with your SD card that was it.  Not the failure to low level format it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

As to what camera to get, the 5D Mk IV is the choice.  Why would you even consider buying a discontinued Mk III ?  That is the reason they have been discounted so much.  Canon wants to get rid of them.  If you are committed and you can drop the dime on a new camera go for the best you can.  The 5D Mk IV is it in a Canon brand.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements