cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D Mark IV error lost confidence in product

AMCLARSSON
Contributor

Hi all, This is my first post!

I got a new 5D Mark IV which I began using today.

1.) On the top LCD screen it displayed an error code 'err cr2d..' it flashed very quickly before disappearing and the main LCD screen was blank. The retailer is collecting the camera for a refund as they only have them available on a 5-7 day delivery now. Are there widespread issues with this model?

2.) I am opting for a 5D Mark III instead, simply because I have always thought the longer a model has been out the more likely it is to be fault free'. This episode kind of proved that to be true. What are your thoughts on that?

3.) I have one more question - the menu is dramatically different from what I came from (6D, upgrading for several reasons - build quality for one) and I began noticing things like 'Electronic lens MF' which isn't mentioned in the manual. I began thinking whether this error may have been to do with this feature and I may not have set up the camera to lens correctly. Or is there something else I am not considering?

I have never experienced an error with Canon cameras so this made me lose confidence in this product.

(FYI - I switched between a Canon EF 24-70mm 2.8 L II to a Canon EF 50mm 1.4 during shoot)

Thanks in advance.

34 REPLIES 34

TCampbell wrote:

As for Amazon... just make sure that when you look at a product, you check the "Ships and sold by... " tag in the product listing.  Amazon is a dealer, but they also allow market-place sellers to list products on their site and they even offer a deal where marketplace sellers can store the seller's inventory in an Amazon warehouse so that Amazon's fulfillment staff will pick, pack, & ship the seller's product (but the seller sources the product on their own and the seller may not be an authorized dealer obtaining genuine goods.). If the product listing on Amazon says "Ships and sold by Amazon.com" then you're not dealing with a marketplace seller - that's Amazon direct.  I do wish they'd do something to make it easier for us consumers. 

Don't we all. But I'm not naïve enough to suppose that the convenience of us consumers is their first priority. My (admittedly limited) experience with Amazon certainly doesn't suggest that it is.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

AMCLARSSON
Contributor
Hi Tim,

It's San Disk extreme 90MB 16GB which I have been using in Canon cameras for a long time. I've regularly bought new ones for new work trips.

Upon each use I have formatted the card but not a low level format. The card I used in my 5D4 was a general format, not Low level. I can't remember if it was a new card or not. Pretty sure it might have been though.

Quite tough to keep track of whether I have used a card in another camera unless it's a new trip.

From now on I will perform a low level format then a format upon each new card.

I'm assuming that there are no guidelines after that card is formatted? I can keep using it until it is full up?

AMCLARSSON
Contributor
May I ask, once I've downloaded my files is it perfectly safe to perform a low level on every card after every use? It seems to me like that would be the more logical thing to do?

@AMCLARSSON wrote:
May I ask, once I've downloaded my files is it perfectly safe to perform a low level on every card after every use? It seems to me like that would be the more logical thing to do?

You should perform a low level format prior to initial use in a camera.  There is no need to perform a low level format prior to every use, though.  Also, when a low level format is performed, a regular format is also performed, 

Formattting a memory card prior to using it on a shoot is probably a best practice, because formatting is a quick and dirty way to erase all information off of the storage media.  A regular format is sufficient to erase information.  

There are different ways to store data on removable media.  One of the most common differences is block size.  A storage block is a fixed set of storage locations.  I would compare a storage block to one of those cardboard things that hold eggs.  Eggs can be sold as a set of 6, 12, or 18 eggs.  Whenever data is written or read on a storage media, it is done one block at a time.  

A low level format initialized this system of storage blocks.  Different operating systems may use different block sizes.  This is why a memory card should be low level formatted in the camera.  But, it is also why it is not necessary to low level format storage media prior to every use.  A simple erasure is sufficient. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

AMCLARSSON wrote:

A low-level format scans the card for hardware bad spots and programs them out of the file system. If you think the card may be going bad, do a low-level format to give the firmware a new take on where the bad spots are. Otherwise it's a waste of time.

A regular format simply erases the chaining and block usage information that enables the firmware to keep track of where the image files are and where it can store new ones. (A large image file may be spread over multiple chained blocks.) If you add and delete files, the chaining structure can get pretty complex and slow the process down. So do a regular format from time to time to improve efficiency. Also, if there are any firmware errors that have garbled the chaining structure, formatting will cancel their effect.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements