cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D Mark IV error lost confidence in product

AMCLARSSON
Contributor

Hi all, This is my first post!

I got a new 5D Mark IV which I began using today.

1.) On the top LCD screen it displayed an error code 'err cr2d..' it flashed very quickly before disappearing and the main LCD screen was blank. The retailer is collecting the camera for a refund as they only have them available on a 5-7 day delivery now. Are there widespread issues with this model?

2.) I am opting for a 5D Mark III instead, simply because I have always thought the longer a model has been out the more likely it is to be fault free'. This episode kind of proved that to be true. What are your thoughts on that?

3.) I have one more question - the menu is dramatically different from what I came from (6D, upgrading for several reasons - build quality for one) and I began noticing things like 'Electronic lens MF' which isn't mentioned in the manual. I began thinking whether this error may have been to do with this feature and I may not have set up the camera to lens correctly. Or is there something else I am not considering?

I have never experienced an error with Canon cameras so this made me lose confidence in this product.

(FYI - I switched between a Canon EF 24-70mm 2.8 L II to a Canon EF 50mm 1.4 during shoot)

Thanks in advance.

34 REPLIES 34

"I did call Canon but they were no help."

The Canon support line is really no better than the tech you get.  It is just a luck of the draw.  You get what you get.

Every answer was pretty much 'I don't have that information sir'.

Not surprised for the reason above.  Not all techs are created equal.  I almost never to very rarely call for support or questions.  Most of the time I know more than the tech.  But I did call recently about one of my Pixma Pro-100 printers.  The Canon guy was very good.  Very happy whit his help and advice.  One word that may help, if you get a bad tech, hang up and call back.  You will likely get a different one.

The place where Canon rules is the service and repair departments.  Over the decades I have used them, they have been great.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hi Ebiggs,

I have used Canon for years and have gradually changed as things supposedly get better or newer.

I went from 5D2, two 6Ds and a 7D back up. I read the manual's thoroughly and do my research prior to purchase. 

All cards are formatted before every use and only use class 10 plus. The battery was fully charged and their new model LP series. I called Canon several times after the fault there was no change. US CS tends to be more friendlier if I am honest.

"I format my cards before every use and only use class 10 plus."

Are they good high quality name brand cards.  Sandisk or Lexar for instance?  And, very important, did you buy them from a well known retailer?  You didn't get them from Cheap Charley's discount memory cards, did you?

EB

San disk from Amazon - in their white packet cards sold by them on behalf of San Disk. 

@AMCLARSSON wrote:

San disk from Amazon - in their white packet cards sold by them on behalf of San Disk. 

What's a "white packet card"? And what does "on behalf of SanDisk" mean in this context? It smells like it means they're "seconds" (I'm assuming that term has the same meaning in the UK!) that SanDisk doesn't want to sell under their own name.

My opinion is that good memory cards are cheap enough, and a bad card's potential to ruin a shoot great enough, that a serious photographer should stick to name-brand cards sold by highly reputable vendors. Those "white packet" cards may be perfectly fine, but it's a risk I don't think I'd be prepared to take.

BTW, you're not using micro-SD cards with an adapter, are you? Those things often cause problems.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Robert:

This is the link to the exact product I purchased: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Extreme-Class-Memory-Ratings/dp/B01469QEK0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

Amazon, as you may or may not know, fulfill orders for companies with large turnovers. As a consequence they distribute them in their own packaging see attached photo I took just for you! sd cards amazon.jpg

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I am opting for a 5D Mark III instead,..."

If you have a 5D Mk III the Mk IV is not enough of an upgrade to warrant its purchase.  One of my recent complaints about Canon and its lack of improvement over the competition with its new models.  However, if you are buying first time, by all means get the Mk IV.  The Mk IV is a great camera when compared to other Canon models.

Err 02 could have simply been a bad CF or SD card.  Even just an improperly seated memory card.  It might have been you!

But that is done now.  Get another Mk IV and do spend some quality time with the manual.

EB

AMCLARSSON
Contributor
Ok thanks.

Yes I see what you mean - as previously mentioned, I've always thought the longer it's been out the less bugs and faults it will have as the company has had time to eradicate such issues. I used to work for an electronics co and know how they work.

It may be old but Canon still services the original 5D1. Production is ceasing not service support for it.

I will probably end up with the 5D4 if I am honest. I just don't need video etc and 20MP is prefect for press work.

" Production is ceasing not service support for it."

Not "ceasing" but ceased!  Also the last 5D Mk III has already been made, you can bet on that.

EB

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

We don't know if it was a bad card per se.  It could be the wrong type of card.  It could be a camera issue as well (but that's exceedingly rare - it's far more often that these sorts of issues turn out to be the card.)

One area where people get into trouble is by using cards that were previously used in other cameras without re-formatting the card (generally all camera makers warn that you should not share cards between different cameras without re-formatting them first.)

Also, check the specs for your card.  Sometimes people run into issues by buying cards where the specs of the card go beyond what the camera supports.  For example... the 5D IV specifically specifies that the SD cards can be SD, SDHC, or SDXC (those all relate to maximum storage capacity), and they also specify that they do support UHS-I (a technology that allows for high-speed transfer with both device and card support it) but that UHS-II specifically is _not_ supported (they warn that the card may "work" but may have very slow transfer speeds.).   Also... MMC (multi-media card) spec is specifically _not_ supported and attempting to use an SD card that is an "MMC" card will result in errors.

You can see how using a card that doesn't match the specs could result in errors or poor performance even though the card itself isn't defective (it's just not the correct type) and the camera isn't defective.

As for Amazon... just make sure that when you look at a product, you check the "Ships and sold by... " tag in the product listing.  Amazon is a dealer, but they also allow market-place sellers to list products on their site and they even offer a deal where marketplace sellers can store the seller's inventory in an Amazon warehouse so that Amazon's fulfillment staff will pick, pack, & ship the seller's product (but the seller sources the product on their own and the seller may not be an authorized dealer obtaining genuine goods.). If the product listing on Amazon says "Ships and sold by Amazon.com" then you're not dealing with a marketplace seller - that's Amazon direct.  I do wish they'd do something to make it easier for us consumers. 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements