cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D Mark IV and 24-70mm L and when shooting vertically, camera bottom side is dark

lifer311
Apprentice

So i'm shooting product photos for an auction and I shoot vertically a lot. Usually I turn the camera clockwise, with the camera bottom being on my left. When I take the picture, the left edge of the photo seemed shadowed or slightly darker. I thought it was a lighting problem, but I've noticed that if I turn the camera counter clockwise, the right side is dark, not the left. Never experience this before. Suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

What shutter speed are you using?

Some 3rd party flashes have a tiny bit of lag and the camera needs to be backed off the normal flash-sync speed by about 1/3rd of a stop.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

@RobertTheFat wrote:

It looks as though something on the top or bottom of the camera is interfering with the light from one of the softboxes. (Which one depends on which way the camera is oriented.) A tripod mount, perhaps?

Whatever the issue is, it is staying one the same side of the camera.  It's not switching sides.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

What shutter speed are you using?

Some 3rd party flashes have a tiny bit of lag and the camera needs to be backed off the normal flash-sync speed by about 1/3rd of a stop.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements