cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D Mark IV RAW files viewing issue

tmc784
Enthusiast

Hi all,

Recently I got a Canon 5D4,  I can view RAW images at Canon DPP  software.

But I can't view RAW images from Windows 10/64 bits, neither from Photoshop CC2019 even though I upgrade Camera Raw 11.1 version. I have no problems at  viewing JPEG  files.

Any help ? Thanks a lot. 

Cheers.

21 REPLIES 21

diverhank
Authority

@tmc784 wrote:

Hi all,

Recently I got a Canon 5D4,  I can view RAW images at Canon DPP  software.

But I can't view RAW images from Windows 10/64 bits, neither from Photoshop CC2019 even though I upgrade Camera Raw 11.1 version. I have no problems at  viewing JPEG  files.

Any help ? Thanks a lot. 

Cheers.

For windows, you need to load a codec in order for Windows to properly display the RAW files.  Canon no longer allows download, rather you have to use DPP.  Canon RAW codec is available by other sources.  Personnaly I don't use this because I keep both CR2 and processed JPEG files in my computer, often together.  Viewing through windows confuse me to no end because sometimes I thought a RAW file is a JPEG and wondering why it's so ugly - unprocessed files to me is usually "ugly" compared to processed ones.  I only view RAW files via either LR or PS Bridge.

It is strange that RAW 11.1 cannot view the Canon 5D4 in Bridge and PS CC...something is really wrong. You should call Adobe for support on this.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You have either a MS problem or an Adobe problem, not a Canon problem.  Contact those folks.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

tmc784
Enthusiast

Update : I was told to download the trial software Fast Picture Viewer Codec and I really can view the RAW files from Canon 5D4. of course I have to pay if I want to keep it after trial.

Is that software better than Adobe Camera Raw 11.1 version ? I am confused !

"Is that software better than Adobe Camera Raw 11.1 version ?"

IMHO, no!  Not even in the same zip code.  Call Adobe today and see what is wrong.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I use the FastPictureViewer codec (all of $10 to buy it) and it works great. "FPV" allows you to view virtually any RAW, TIFF, PSD and other file types that Windows normally can't handle, as thumbnails in Explorer or enlarged in Windows Picture Viewer (and possibly other built-in image viewers). I've used FPV with Canon CR2s, Nikon NEFs, Olympus and Pentax files... as well as 16 bit TIFFs, PSDs and more. It handles them all quickly and easily. 

Be aware that Windows is uncalibrated and you are viewing unprocessed RAW files, so what you see will look lower in contrast and somewhat desaturated.

No, it's nothing like Adobe Camera Raw, which is the powerful RAW conversion "engine" at the core of Adobe Elements, Lightroom and Photoshop (it's integral in Elements and Lightroom and a separate module in Photoshop.... this simply means that it can be updated separately with PS... but to update it in Elements and LR requires an update of the entire program). ACR allows you to make all sorts of adjustments to the image and then convert a RAW file into another file type... JPEG, TIFF or whatever.

The FPV codec is merely a convenient viewer. It doesn't provide any means of adjusting and converting RAW files. Still, it's handy to have so you don't have to open another program every time you want to locate an image.

I wasn't aware of any "trial" version of FPV. Are you sure you downloaded the right thing? There are other software on that website. You just need the codec (I'd post a link, but it would probably be deleted because links aren't permitted here).

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & ZENFOLIO 

Yes, they offer 15 days trial

You might also look into Irfanview, which seems to be able to open nearly any image file type you throw at it, including RAW. It doesn't offer any RAW editing but has a lot of other features like batch processing and watermarking.

https://www.irfanview.com/

Irfanview is small and quick to open making it good to run on a laptop of from a USB thumb drive.

tmc784
Enthusiast

@tmc784 wrote:

I also find the link :  https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/editing-canon-dual-pixel-raw-cr2.html

This might be part of the mystery.  Turn off dual pixel option then see if Photoshop and Lightroom can see it.  As far as I know, hardly anyone uses the dual pixel feature.  It just makes the RAW file much bigger and not recognizable outside of DPP.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
Announcements