Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

Canon 5D Mark IV - Main Dial not working to adjust aperture and other setting

The main dial on my Canon 5D Mark IV is not working to make adjustments while in any of the modes. I can hit the quick (Q) button and make adjustments or use it in settings other than went in in a shooting mode. Any ideas?
Highlighted
Reputable Contributor

Re: Canon 5D Mark IV - Main Dial not working to adjust aperture and other setting

Make sure you haven't got the on/off switch in the lock position.

Highlighted
Reputable Contributor

Re: Canon 5D Mark IV - Main Dial not working to adjust aperture and other setting

[ Edited ]

Which "main dial" are you talking about? The main dial can mean different things to different people, and the fix will be different.

Mike Sowsun
S110, SL1, 80D, 5D Mk III
Highlighted
New Contributor

The “main dial” near the shutter button.

Question: @Ray-uk I’m a newbie. What on/off switch are you referring to? I’m not quite sure what you mean and I’ve searched the manual for this. Thanks
Highlighted
Reputable Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Itsmedavidv wrote:
The “main dial” near the shutter button.

Question: @Ray-uk I’m a newbie. What on/off switch are you referring to? I’m not quite sure what you mean and I’ve searched the manual for this. Thanks

He means the "Quick Control Dial" on the back which has a sliding lock switch below it. That lock switch has no effect on the main dial near the shutter button. 

98F0EA47-DB5A-4F58-8764-383CBFE2754E.jpeg

Mike Sowsun
S110, SL1, 80D, 5D Mk III
Highlighted
VIP

@Itsmedavidv wrote:
The main dial on my Canon 5D Mark IV is not working to make adjustments while in any of the modes. I can hit the quick (Q) button and make adjustments or use it in settings other than went in in a shooting mode. Any ideas?

When the viewfinder display is active, does an "L" appear whenever you try to use it?  If so, the problem is the lock switch.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."