cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D Mark IV Live view and Focus point Freeze up

RoyC
Contributor

Hello! I've been shooting with a Canon 5D Mark IV for a few months now and have had this problem occur on multiple occasions. I'll be shooting tethered to my Mac, using Capture one 11 and suddently my computer controls to shoot will stop working in capture, my focus point wont change or move and my Live view won't open. It's happened about 8 times now. I can fix it by just turning my camera on and off, but in the middle of a model shoot it seems unprofessional to have to stop. Anyone have a sovle to this problem or similar issues?

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@RoyC wrote:

Hello! I've been shooting with a Canon 5D Mark IV for a few months now and have had this problem occur on multiple occasions. I'll be shooting tethered to my Mac, using Capture one 11 and suddently my computer controls to shoot will stop working in capture, my focus point wont change or move and my Live view won't open. It's happened about 8 times now. I can fix it by just turning my camera on and off, but in the middle of a model shoot it seems unprofessional to have to stop. Anyone have a sovle to this problem or similar issues?

Does this happen with other cameras?  It could be a software problem.  

Just because it worked a few months ago with a different camera body does not mean much.  Apple does have a habit of releasing updates to their Operating System that may break existing applications. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Mine use to do this but I realized it is usually when using an LP-E6 rather than an LP-E6N battery! 

tmc784
Enthusiast

It might be caused by the computer software . Not the Mark IV issue.

I'm using the lastest version of Capture one 11 so shouldn't be a software issue, unless it's a problem with the mac. But I work in a studio and it is happening with 1 other camera. We're both running same software, working on the same computer setup. Just odd that this would happen to 2 out of 6 cameras.

Alexan127
Apprentice

The Canon 5D Mark IV has 61 selectable AF points distributed through the central portion of the viewfinder. These are the tiny squares that you see in your viewfinder. The system is designed to work with many different subjects and types of photography download tutuapp.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I’m wondering if the USB port on the camera is having trouble with the cable length.

How long is your USB tethering cable?  

You might try using an “active” cable.  This is a USB cable that has an amplifier in it (digital repeater) to deal with the issue of signal quality degrading in long cables.

One way to test if this is the issue is to use the camera with a short cable for a while and see if the same camera ever locks up.  If it never locks up with a short cable, but does lock up with your long cable, then you are likely having a problem with the cable length.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements