cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D Mark III. I can't see the grid lines through the view finder. Only LV displays them. Help

zazueffect
Contributor

Canon 5D Mark III. I can't see the grid lines through the view finder. I enabled the 3x3 gridlines on the 4th page of the shooting functions; however the grid lines are not displayed through the viewfinder. They are only visible on Live View Mode. Any help to solve this would be appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9

ezpop
Rising Star

please check out from a post in anothercapture-20150116-070313.png forum

zazueffect
Contributor

Thank you for the reply. My understanding is that the same 3x3 grid lines should be seen both in LV and through the view finder. Is that the case or am I wrong?
The independent VF grid lines enabled on the yellow menu are not very useful to me. 

The grids for live view vs viewfinder are NOT the same.

To eneable for "live view" you use the menu on Red Camera icon #4 page.  To enable for "viewfinder" you use the menu on Yellow Wrench #2 page.

The viewfinder grid creates 3 horizontal lines and 5 vertical lines (or 4 "rows" between those 3 horizonal lines and 6 "columns" between those 5 vertical lines.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thank you. So, to settle my issue, there is NO option to enable the SAME set of  Live View grids to be seen through the view finder.

Correct.  The viewfinder grid has no options other than to enable/disable display of the grid.  You can't set the number of grid lines.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thank you Tim:

Thank you Tim: The reason I started looking into this issue is because on a course I was watching on Lynda.com 

"Shooting with the Canon 5D Mark III with Ben Long" ., 

which is a very exhaustive course, Ben Long actually places the 3x3 grid through the viewfinder and you can actually see it in the video. I copied the trascript: "The Mark III can also display a grid in your viewfinder, which can help you keep things aligned properly, both horizontally, and vertically.

I'm going to go over here to the shooting menu, and you'll see that here on the fourth page of the shooting category is something called Grid display. I'm going to select that. It defaults to Off, of course. I have a choice of three different grids; a 3×3 grid, a finer 6×4 grid, or a 3×3 grid with diagonal lines though it. So I'm going to just pick, say, the 3×3 grid, which makes any image I shoot look like an episode of Hollywood Squares. So now I'm going to actually see gridlines there in my viewfinder.

This, as you'll see later, is also visible when working in live view, or when shooting video. When I'm done using the grid, or if I decide it's not as helpful as I was hoping it might be, I just come back to my Grid display command, switch it off, and I'm back to a clear viewfinder."    On the actual video you see the grid lines through the viiewfinder (not the set that is enabled through the yellow menu for the VF alone). 

All of those options do show up when using the "live view" grid.  But not for the viewfinder grid.  I did a lot of digging into this when I first acquired my own 5D III and read that I could put the gridlines in the viewfinder display.  Ultimately what I learned is... you can... you just don't get all the options you get when you use the live-view display for grid spacing and diagonals.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ezpop
Rising Star

The newer camera : 7D mark II has more info in the view finder.

Hopefully, 5D3 will have a firmware update to incorporate this feature into it.

Announcements