cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D Mark II - if you owned

amatula15
Enthusiast

Hi!

The local camera shop has a used 5D Mark II. 

I currently have a Canon SL1 and was looking to upgrade.
I had been considering the Rebel T8i and the Canon RP (mirrorless full-frame).

I looked at the specs for the 5D II and they seem fine even though they do not have the latest and greatest of anything.

I handled it without battery and with the very light weight 50 mm F/12.8 lens and it did not feel heavy (but would want a heavier/longer lens than that one to help with stabilizing the camera) -- I am petite and use cameras hiking.

If you have owned and used this camera, what are your thoughts on it, especially for landscape?

I am also going to be working with ND (neutral density) filters and maybe seeing if I like astrophotography.

Thank you and all the best!

Annie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
Annie keep in mind most of the advice about landscape and sports or low light or whatever photography is mostly nit picking. Either camera is going to do just fine for either or anything.
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30

Annie,

I didn't own the 5D2.  In 2012 I had a Nikon point and shoot and a couple of Canon Camcorders.  I was working for a software devolpment company and we were shooting lmor video.

The Nikon was short lived.  I've been a Canon user since '73.  I've never left the brand.  The guys and myself have given you plenty to think about from a upgrade perspecvtive.  Its ging to come down to money and what your goals are.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@Waddizzle wrote:

Sometimes the question of upgrading to a full frame camera is not always about image quality.  

Believe it or not, for aome people is all about angle of view and availale lens selection.  I know that is why I upgraded from a T5 to 6D.  I like to shoot landscapes.  The FF angle of view was wider.  To assume the only raosn someone wants a FF body is fo image qualtiy is a very narrow minded opinion.

Also, image quality is a very broad term. For example, a FF camera can, but often doesn't, give you higher resolution. But a FF camera tends to have larger pixels, which pays off in dynamic range and low-light performance. What matters to one user may not matter to another.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi,
I never mentioned questions on image quality.

I did note someone mentioned low light performance and dynamic range for FF and that is important for my purposes (I mentioned that in a previous response). 

Of course, I appreciate all help and information but wanted to re-direct the question back.

Thank you, and all the best!

@amatula15 wrote:

Hi,
I never mentioned questions on image quality.

I did note someone mentioned low light performance and dynamic range for FF and that is important for my purposes (I mentioned that in a previous response). 

Of course, I appreciate all help and information but wanted to re-direct the question back.

Thank you, and all the best!

As a supplement to the SL Rebel, the 5D2 should cost a bit more than half the cost of the T8i and EOS the RP.  I have also seen used 5D Mark III camera bodies selling ro the price of an RP at B&H and KEH.

I shoot an overwhelming majority of my landscape photos from a tripod, so lower noise at higher ISO settings is nice to have but is not a factor in the final result.  I can shoot at ISO 100 far more times than not.

Newer gear is generally better to have than older gear.  But, if you are on a budget, which I think you are, then some of the older gear deserves a critical look.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you, Waddizzle!

I am trying to stay under $1,500.

Do you feel the SL2 and T8i would have improved low light performance over the SL1, given the new processor?

It is very grainy when I try to raise the shadows of the SL1, but that could be a technique issue on my part.

Thank you, again,

Annie

@amatula15 wrote:

Thank you, Waddizzle!

I am trying to stay under $1,500.

Do you feel the SL2 and T8i would have improved low light performance over the SL1, given the new processor?

It is very grainy when I try to raise the shadows of the SL1, but that could be a technique issue on my part.

Thank you, again,

Annie

Both camera bodies are improvements of the SL1.  However, there is very little difference between them when it comes to noise in the shadows when you shoot at ISO 100.  There isn't much difference at ISO 400.  The trick is to get it right in the camera, so that you do not need to spend a lot time in post cleaning up your photos.

I shoot most of my landscapes at ISO 100.  As Bob noted above, there are difference in noise levels between a full frame sensor and an APS-C sensor.  If you find the weight of a 5D2 acceptable, then you may want to consider other models outside of the Rebel line.  The T8i is a pretty good camera, but it is still in the Rebel line, which has its' limitations.

The Canon full frame EF lens lineup has better built lenses than the APS-C EF-S lens lineup.  My most used lens on a full frame body is the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM.  There isn't an equivalent zoom lens in the EF-S lineup that has a comparable field of view.  

The only lens that I REALLy like in the EF-S line is the EF-S 10-22mm.  It is equivalent to a 16-35mm on a full frame body. It was my favorite lens on my T5.  But, it suffered from barrel distortion, which they full frame lens did not have.

There are many camera bodies within your budget that are more fully featured than any Rebel body.  I used to do a lot of action shooting with a 6D Mark II, and loved it.  It is one of my GoTo lenses for action photography, with the other being a 7D Mark II.  

However, I often like to shoot panoramiclandscape  shots.  I have found a lower resolution camera allowed me to capture a larger canvas, or larger overall angle of view.  For this I fall back on older bodies with lower resolutions. They all look nearly the same at ISO 100 when it comes to noise.  I like pano shots because it avoids the compression of UWA lenses.

Speaking lenses, invesingt your money in high quality lenses is better than investing in the newest camera bodes.  I would rather see you invest in the 5D2 from a local camera store, and also buy an L Series lens to go along with it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Just to muddy the waters a bit...  I took a look at the Canon Fefurb Store in the US and there are some interesting offerings.  Personally I would look at the RP cameras - they get you into the new technology and at refurbished prices there are some good deals to be had.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-eos-interchangeable-lens-cameras

As long as you have the EF adaptor you could still use your EF lenses and EF-S lenses on a new FF RF body.  It is small, light and should offer significant performance improvements over what you can get in the EOS range...

https://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/slrs/canon_eosrp

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Love that idea, Trevor!!
Thank you so much for referencing!
Annie

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
Well addressing those questions I doubt the 5D2 is going to be better than the T8i. The newer technology will win that battle every time.
EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
Annie keep in mind most of the advice about landscape and sports or low light or whatever photography is mostly nit picking. Either camera is going to do just fine for either or anything.
EB
Announcements