cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D Mark II camera shutter is stuck open when I press the shutter button.

dianamajig
Apprentice

5D Mark II

My camera settings are f/5.6, ISO 400, spot metering, I'm shooting in raw. I put a new battery in and I noticed my camera card is stuck at 999. So I put in a new camera card. The camera will take a shot in auto mode but not in any other mode. I reset my camera to factory settings and the shutter still won't close unless I actually shut off the camera.

8 REPLIES 8

ezpop
Rising Star

Most likely you have set the mirror to lock up. Try reset it in the menu and see what happens.

Good luck.

BTW, what do you mean by : camera card is stuck at 999 ? Do you mean the CF/SD card ?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I reset my camera to factory settings and the shutter still won't close unless I actually shut off the camera."

If you did a complete factory reset to defaults, your camera is broken and needs Canon Service.  Call them today.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@dianamajig wrote:

5D Mark II

My camera settings are f/5.6, ISO 400, spot metering, I'm shooting in raw. I put a new battery in and I noticed my camera card is stuck at 999. So I put in a new camera card. The camera will take a shot in auto mode but not in any other mode. I reset my camera to factory settings and the shutter still won't close unless I actually shut off the camera.

Since your camera is working in Auto mode, you have something messed up in your settings, and it is unlikely that your camera needs repair.

There are two places you need to reset the camera to factory settings, one is for the camera settings the other is for custom functions. You need to reset them in BOTH places.

Being stuck at 999 just means you have room for more than 999 photos on the card.

nicechris
Contributor

Yes,Most likely you have set the mirror to lock up

Not if the OP did a factory reset.  If he did a complete reset and it still doesn't work, it is broken.  OP needs to call Canon Support.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Not if the OP did a factory reset.  If he did a complete reset and it still doesn't work, it is broken.  OP needs to acll Canon Support.

If it works in Green Square Auto mode it is obvious he did NOT do a COMPLETE reset.

I agree if he needs help doing a complete reset he needs to call Canon Support.

Zookeeper
Apprentice

My 5d2 also had this problem and when I did a camera reset plus a reset of the custom functions it was back as it should be and I then set up my custom functions again. So far so good and I have no idea why it started doing this as I had not touched any settings and suddenly it was wonky although it worked properly using live view.

I have no idea why it started doing this as I had not touched any settings ..."

Exactly why you do the reset.  It is easy to change a setting inadvertently and not notice it.  Especially when you are not up to par on what all the various settings do. This is probably the number one thing a new person should know, how to reset the camera. Number two is read the manual.

EB
Announcements