cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D Mark 4–Face tracking question

clovislavigne
Contributor

Hi!!

What's up!! I just bought the Canon 5D Mark 4. I turn on all Face tracking. When I shoot for my models, the face tracking is not as good as I thought when the model is on the sides. 

When I use my friend's camera (same),  there is a square that locks the models' faces. Does anyone know how to set it up? 😞 Thanks.  I did my research for days but still could not figure it out. 

Best!!

Clovis L
Columbus, Ohio
–––––––
Canon 5D Mark IV, 50mm F/1.8 , 24-70mm 4L
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@clovislavigne wrote:

Hi!!

What's up!! I just bought the Canon 5D Mark 4. I turn on all Face tracking. When I shoot for my models, the face tracking is not as good as I thought when the model is on the sides. 

When I use my friend's camera (same),  there is a square that locks the models' faces. Does anyone know how to set it up? 😞 Thanks.  I did my research for days but still could not figure it out. 

Best!!

Are you trying to shoot stills or capture video?  If you are shooting stills, are you using the viewfinder or Live View.  I think Face Tracking only available in Live View mode for stills.  When shooting video you are using the rear LCD for focusing and tracking.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

@clovislavigne wrote:

Hi! Waddizzle:

Thanks for your help. Yeah..I only see my viewfinder like that but a Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 1.01.02 PM.pngsquare box around the faces.  Guess I gotta quit to find the square boxes 😞 

Thanks. 

Clovis L

John is correct.  The Face Tracking in the OVF only occurs when your AF point selection is set to "Zone AF", or "Large Zone AF" modes.  I mentioned Live View earlier, which is capable of placing a similar box around a face.  The Live View control menus only appear when the camera is switched to Live View mode.

9FD0DF04-24BE-4A02-819A-B428A0E94E14.jpeg

However, the 5D4 does not have Eye AF, which was invented a released a couple of years after the 5D4 was initially released.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Hi! Waddizzle:

Thanks for your help. Yeah..I only see my viewfinder like that but a Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 1.01.02 PM.pngsquare box around the faces.  Guess I gotta quit to find the square boxes 😞 

Thanks. 

Clovis L

Clovis L
Columbus, Ohio
–––––––

Was she perhaps using Large Zone AF?

Screenshot 2021-04-01 143842.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi John:

Oh, I remember that we also use the USB to connect to the computer with Capture One. It may be the reason. Anyway, thanks for your help!! John.

Clovis L

Canon 5D Mark 4, 50mm f/1.8, 24-70MM f/4.  

Clovis L
Columbus, Ohio
–––––––

@clovislavigne wrote:

Hi! Waddizzle:

Thanks. 

Clovis L

John is correct.  The Face Tracking in the OVF only occurs when your AF point selection is set to "Zone AF", or "Large Zone AF" modes.  I mentioned Live View earlier, which is capable of placing a similar box around a face.  The Live View control menus only appear when the camera is switched to Live View mode.

9FD0DF04-24BE-4A02-819A-B428A0E94E14.jpeg

However, the 5D4 does not have Eye AF, which was invented a released a couple of years after the 5D4 was initially released.

Hi Waddizzle:

Yeah, it makes sense. I remember we connect to the laptop with the capture one. It may be the reason that there is a light green color square box around the model's faces.  Anyway, thanks for your help!! Haha. Maybe we can have eye-tracking in the future like Canon 5D Mark V lol. 

Clovis L

Canon 5D Mark 4, 50mm f/1.8, 24-70MM f/4.  

Clovis L
Columbus, Ohio
–––––––

My friends did not text me back and I guess she does not wanna tell me. 

Clovis L
Columbus, Ohio
–––––––
Announcements