cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D Mark 1 and the cold

Rrocheleau
Apprentice

I have a Canon 5D mark one with a low shutter count but in the cold all shots are black. When first out in the cold it takes a few shots then once it cools down that's when the issue shows up. Seems fine when used inside in the warmth of the house.

Wonder if anyone has had this happen.

thanks in advance

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Nonsense I used my 5D, 5D Mk II and 5D Mk III at well under 0 degrees centigrade.  Smiley Frustrated  Keep a spare battery in your inside pocket and they are good to go at temps below what I am good to go in!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Nonsense I used my 5D, 5D Mk II and 5D Mk III at well under 0 degrees centigrade.  Smiley Frustrated  Keep a spare battery in your inside pocket and they are good to go at temps below what I am good to go in!

I'm with Ernie. I've used all of my Canon cameras at temperatures well below freezing. Where I live, you can't avoid it. But if I'm wearing a heavy coat, I do try to keep the camera inside the coat when it isn't actually in use.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I have been on ten day shoots in the Colorado mountains and other cold locations where it didn't get above 0C the entire time.  Everything from my F1n to my 1DX has worked flawlessly.  Don't worry about it, it will be fine.

EB

12 REPLIES 12

cicopo
Elite

There are a lot of opinions on what someone thinks is cold. Best to give us a temperature range the problem shows up at. Also just how long does it perform properly before the cold has penetrated into the camera?

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I would say that about 10 mins of cooling at -7 celcius would be where the issue would start.

Thanks

"Try a brand new battery.  A brand new Canon battery!"

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Try a brand new battery.  A brand new Canon battery!

EB

docusync
Enthusiast

None of the 5D series cameras can operate under 0C. The recommended temp range is 0 - 40 according to the manual. You may need some kind of "warmer" probably 🙂

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I'm with Ernie. I've used all of my Canon cameras at temperatures well below freezing. Where I live, you can't avoid it. But if I'm wearing a heavy coat, I do try to keep the camera inside the coat when it isn't actually in use.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I used it under 0C myself. It's just not guaranteed that everything will be properly working, especially for long periods of time. For example a while ago on my A99 I had exposure issues. I know only some Olympus MFT cameras are advertised to work at -10C.

I have been on ten day shoots in the Colorado mountains and other cold locations where it didn't get above 0C the entire time.  Everything from my F1n to my 1DX has worked flawlessly.  Don't worry about it, it will be fine.

EB
Announcements