cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D MK ii Bricked during Firmware update-- Please Help

krishnan311
Contributor

Dear Experts:

I got a like new (3000 Actuations) 5D MK ii last year. Last saturday it started acting wierd in Standard Picture style mode. I decided to reinstall the firmware to see if that would help. Yesterday I reinstalled the Canon firmware and my Camera is dead. Only the top electronic panel is live. The Live view / Menu is in accessible.

I tried all the tricks:

1. Remove Battery

2. Removive lens

3. Remove and replace CF card

4. Remove time and date battery.

PLease help! I cannot buy a new Camera and I have some lenses I cant sell for half a price.

NOTE: I DID NOT INSTALL MAGIC LANTERN.

19 REPLIES 19

Oh yes.. I know that now.. thanks

So sorry Smiley Sad but do give Midwest a call.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Agree with Ernie that Midwest is your best bet at this point.

The issues you were seeing may well have been related to a main logic board failure and during the firmware update process the operating firmware became completely corrupted during the update process due to the hard fault with the board. This is an expected outcome if there was already an issue with the board. 

The silver lining in this cloud, if there is one, is you didn't really damage your camera by trying to update the firmware but just made the existing fault very apparent.  It would ultimately have created more problems with your camera reducing it to completely unworkable so it is probably good that it appeared now rather than during a critical shoot.

I have never used Magic Lantern and know nothing about it but is it immediately evident to the user when it is installed?  Is it possible Magic Lantern was installed before you got the camera since it was used?  If so, is there a special procedure when installing firmware in a camera that has been modified with that firmware?

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

No. This Camera never had ML installed in it. The issues is I need access to MENU options to install another software such as ML. I dont even get the "Red light" blinks when I turn on the Camera

Something doesn't add up here. In my experience it is not possible to install the same firmware version on top of the same existing firmware. The camera will not let you even try. 

Mike Sowsun

I cannot find Midwest Camera online. I see a midwest photo in 2887 Silver Dr. Columbus, Ohio.

Midwestcamera-dot-com

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

You actually  might try magic lantern, it can't hurt. If it does give you control back, you can just not use it.

"They only address known camera design "bugs" ..."

And feature enhancements or additions.  All is well documented so you need to read it to see if what the new FW has that you need. Otherwise it is not necessary.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
318 Oak St, Wyandotte, MI 48192
EB
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements