cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D MK IV LiveView shuts off immediately after being pressed with Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 lens

CanonGuyMark
Contributor

My Canon 5D MK IV Live View shuts off immediately after being pressed with a Tamron SP 70-200,, F/2.8 Di Lens.

I am not seeing the problem happen with my Canon 24-70mm F/2.8 lens.

This problem has not happened in video mode.

I am hoping there is a setting I need to toggle to make this lens work in Live View?

Thanks,

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

CanonGuyMark
Contributor

I talked to my local camera shop, they said it will have to be sent back to Tamron for the firmware update, they said Tamron has a pretty good turn around time of about 5 days. I will probably send mine out after I am done with a shoot.

The lens works fine for me normally, the only issue for me is Live View. If not using LIve View it seems to work great so this is not crippling me at the moment, but it would be nice to just get it fixed so Live View will work.

The Camera is also on Firmware V1.01 so their will be firmware updates for it too and as a previous post said Canon is also going to address issues with 3rd party lenses. Great! After all Canon does not want people who own third party lenses avoiding this camera body for that issue. It just makes sense Canon would want to fix this issue.

So far this is a minor bump with third party lenses. I have still been able to work with both my Tamron and Sigma lenses. Just a couple work arounds till the firmware gets updated. It is not a deal breaker for me. This camera is a pleasure to shoot with and I am very pleased with the advances Canon has made in focusing, image quality with dynamic range and low light performance. I am pleased and having no regrets. 

I would still recommend this camera to a friend.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

CanonGuyMark
Contributor

I did some more research and found this from Tamron saying this lens and a few others will need a firmware update.

This particualr lens and a few others made before May 11th, 2015 will need a firmware update and to contact your Tamron distributor for details. 

www.tamron-usa.com/about/updates_canon.php

This may be helpful to anyone else discovering this issue.

So anyone having an issue with any Tamron Lenses, check out the link URL for the complete list of lenses.

@CanonGuyMark wrote:

I did some more research and found this from Tamron saying this lens and a few others will need a firmware update.

This particualr lens and a few others made before May 11th, 2015 will need a firmware update and to contact your Tamron distributor for details. 

www.tamron-usa.com/about/updates_canon.php

This may be helpful to anyone else discovering this issue.

So anyone having an issue with any Tamron Lenses, check out the link URL for the complete list of lenses.

Is there a way that you can update the firmware, or will you have to send it in?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Don't know yet, I will call my local camera shop where I got the lens, tomorrow. I will post when I find out.

Tamron lenses require sending in for firmware update.

Also, rumors have it that there will be a firmware update for the Mk IV very soon to fix 3rd party lens compatibility.  This might help.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

CanonGuyMark
Contributor

I talked to my local camera shop, they said it will have to be sent back to Tamron for the firmware update, they said Tamron has a pretty good turn around time of about 5 days. I will probably send mine out after I am done with a shoot.

The lens works fine for me normally, the only issue for me is Live View. If not using LIve View it seems to work great so this is not crippling me at the moment, but it would be nice to just get it fixed so Live View will work.

The Camera is also on Firmware V1.01 so their will be firmware updates for it too and as a previous post said Canon is also going to address issues with 3rd party lenses. Great! After all Canon does not want people who own third party lenses avoiding this camera body for that issue. It just makes sense Canon would want to fix this issue.

So far this is a minor bump with third party lenses. I have still been able to work with both my Tamron and Sigma lenses. Just a couple work arounds till the firmware gets updated. It is not a deal breaker for me. This camera is a pleasure to shoot with and I am very pleased with the advances Canon has made in focusing, image quality with dynamic range and low light performance. I am pleased and having no regrets. 

I would still recommend this camera to a friend.

Just an update folks if dealing with Tamron for firmware update. Even though this lens has only been out for a couple years and has a 6 year warranty, you are going to need a copy of your store receipt of purchase or they will not cover this under warranty. If you can not produce a receipt they will require you to pay for the repair which is a bit annoying as  Tamron knows full well what serial numbers were sold in the US. I was scrambling to find a two year old receipt. 

@CanonGuyMark wrote:

Just an update folks if dealing with Tamron for firmware update. Even though this lens has only been out for a couple years and has a 6 year warranty, you are going to need a copy of your store receipt of purchase or they will not cover this under warranty. If you can not produce a receipt they will require you to pay for the repair which is a bit annoying as  Tamron knows full well what serial numbers were sold in the US. I was scrambling to find a two year old receipt. 

If you bought it from B&H, they keep receipts and can make them available to be downloaded or printed out.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Good to know, Bob. Thanks.

CanonGuyMark
Contributor

Just an update as to the resolution. Tamron did the firmware update on my lens and it works perfectly now with the Canon 5D Mark IV.

Announcements