cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D III turns off after 14 hours

DWalla
Apprentice
We’ve been tasked to shoot a couple weeks of time lapse photos. We have our 5D3 setup with external power and the auto-power off setting disabled. The camera is taking a still photo every 8 minutes. But the camera will only stay on for 14 hours before it automatically shuts down. Anyone have any ideas as to why this may be occurring?
3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The camera could be overheating.  You need to observe it just prior to shutdown.

If you are taking a shot every 8 minutes, does the camera really need to be "woke" the entire time.  Typically a press on the shutter will wake a camera back up.  Have you considered using an external intervalometer?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

DWalla
Apprentice
It is using an intervalometer. I forgot to mention that. I have checked the temperature and it seems well within the normal range.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I, too, would like to know why it has to be on the entire time instead of just when taking a shot. I suspect the internal temp has something to do wit it. But I have never tried this before. The camera itself will not feel hot most likely.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements