cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D Dead? Need help

Edgars
Apprentice

Hello Canon community and photographers.

I'm writing here because I'm upset and I can't find any proper solution for my issue.

I'm a family/wedding photographer. Recently my canon 1DS mk2 broke with shooter issue straight on a wedding (in the middle of the picture there is an overexposed line) I was happy that I still had my 5D as a backup camera, but that day I had no luck. The picture I took looked posterized, both on LCD and Monitor. I have tried to reset, clean, color space, different settings and literary everything possible to fix it. So I called my friend and within an hour he brought 5Dmk2 and I finished the wedding shoot. That day was complete hell to me. After that I start researching the issue, but so far no answer.

I live on the small Spanish island where you cannot find anyone who can fix it or at least knows about issue.

Please help me to find the issue, what might cause this posterized effect on photos. 

I will appreciate any help or advice. Sorry for my English, I'm still in progress. 

Here are my examples of photos:

photo (1 of 2).jpg

photo (2 of 2).jpg

5 REPLIES 5

I don't see any posterization. I see ...

In the first picture: The leaves in the foreground are grossly out of focus because the lens can't handle the required depth of field (at least not at that aperture). And the subject's eyes are virtually invisible. because the picture needs fill flash.

In the second picture: The focus point is somewhere in the background instead of on the subject, and the dynamic range of the scene exceeds the capability of the camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Dear Bob,

Thank you for your reply! I really appreciate.

I understand your point. I want to ask you to watch them again. Look at the first picture the lady's face, the strange magenta/green lines and all over the picture there is strange 8bit colors in highlights and shadows.

On the second photo, you can see pretty much the same. Hude magenta spot on her shoulder, right corner shadows are blue instead of dark.

I have tried different lenses, different apertures and all kind of setting. The result is the same.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Your only hope is a corrupted CF card.  Try a brand new CF card.  Make sure you get a top quality one not a cheapo.

There are not many places that repair the old 1DS Mk II or 5D anymore.  You can try Midwest Camera to see if they can.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hello ebiggs1

I still do weddings after 16 years of retirement. Can't quit, I guess.  I have had all the 1 series cameras at one time or another.  I still have my 1D Mk IIn.  There is something special about the Mk II series cameras, I agree.

The Mk II is really cheap on the used market. I think that is where you need to go.  Check ebay.  Make sure you use Paypal if you buy there.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements