cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 40d Pros and Cons?

jdg56
Apprentice
I am considering a used Canon 40d as my first DSLR. I currently have a Panasonic Lumix FZ20 and plan to keep it. But I want better low light product, raw and interchangeable lens capability. The Lumix has a wonderful 309-400 mm lens. But is weak in the areas listed. The price is $500+ at my local camera group store. I know that is high but I'd like to get input on this model vs. others and this forum seems like the right place for that. Can you help me with pros and cons of this model and any other info that could help me decide which way to go? Thanks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The 40D is a nice capable camera. $500 bucks is insane.Smiley Surprised $250 is more in the ball park.Smiley Happy

The 40D design is 10 years dated now but it is still a buy at a reasonable price. I have a full time 'pro' friend that still uses one as a back up camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I've found a 40d at KEH Cameras online for around $350. This site was recommended to me at another forum as reliable. The problem for me is finding a good price at and someone I can trust. Thanks for this info and if you can recommend an online seller, I'd be interested. Sounds like both of you agree the 40d is the better of the two.

Bought the 40d here locally for the $350 available at KEH. This is thanks to info I got here on forums. Now I'm working on how to use the darn thing!

Thanks all

OK, now the fun begins. Learn your new "baby".Smiley Very Happy

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If you have $500 bucks to spend you can get a 5D.Smiley Very Happy

EB

cicopo
Elite

$500 is too much in Canada & the US but may be resonable in some markets. It isn't however a 10 year old model. My memory says I ordered mine in the summer of 2007 & finally got it in the fall. The 40D was an extension of the 20D platform and the 20D was introduced in 2004. It was a very good body in it's day but I'd say ISO 1600 is the acceptable limit. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

The reference to 10 years+/- refers to the "design" which included the 10D, 20D, 30D and 40D and succeeded by the 50D.

By the 50D, however, the Canon 7D broke that string. If you are after a 'tweener', I suspose a 50D or 60D is fine.

Except from a marketing standpoint by Canon, I don't see their usefulness.

EB
Announcements