cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 300 EOS

JCH38
Apprentice

Hello

I have been looking for some drivers for a windows 7 operating system i know the camera is old but still good

please help.

Thank You

3 REPLIES 3

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

There is no driver for the OS Version you selected. The driver may be included in your OS or you may not need a driver.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

This approach may work on the 300D.

"The EOS 10D is not compatible with Windows 7 or 8 in the normal communication mode.  You can look under the wrench and hammer icon and you will find Communication mode which you will need to change to "PTP" in order to connect using the Windows Camera Wizard.

If you do not have the COMMUNICATION option in your menu then you will need to update your firmware on your EOS 10D.  You can find the latest version along with the installation instructions at this link:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_10...

Once you have installed that firmware for your EOS 10D you should be able to connect.  There will be a zipped file which will contain the .fir file to load to the CF card of the camera using a USB card reader and a pdf file of the instructions for the installation procedure."

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

amfoto1
Authority

Above instructions are about reinstalling or updating the firmware in the camera. Not sure that's what you are trying to do.

The original Digital Rebel/300D produces CRW files. Current Canon softwares no longer support this format, if you are trying to use Canon Digital Photo Pro software to convert the RAW (CRW) files to JPEGs. You would need to get an old version of Canon DPP, if you wanted to use that software.

However, a better and easier solution is probably to just get a current copy of Adobe Elements. I believe that still supports CRW files. So do Lightroom and Photoshop, but those are much bigger and more expensive software programs, which is why I suggested Elements instead. You can do a lot of cataloging and editing functions with Elements... it has some features from both Lightroom and Photoshop. I'm sure there are some other third party image editing/cataloging softwares that still support CRW files. Current Adobe products work just fine with Windows 7.

However, Windows Explorer cannot display any RAW files, by itself. Canon offered a free codec to allow direct viewing of CRW and current CR2 files directly in Explorer, however that's for 32 bit operating systems only (last time I checked). I bought a small sofware called FastPhotoViewer that works great. It allows all sorts of RAW files to be previewed directly in Explorer and even display larger in WIndows Photo Viewer. I've used it with my own CRW and CR2 files, as well as Nikon, Olympus and Pentax RAW files from other folks' cameras... it works with them all. It only costs $15 pers computer (I have it installed on three: a desktop and two laptops.)

If you shoot JPEGs in-camera, instead of RAW files, you won't need any of the above.

If you are trying to use Canon EOS Utility software to interface with the camera to change settings, you'll need an older version that will work with your camera. I don't believe the current one is compatible (but might be wrong). Most things you might want to do setting the camera with EOS Utility, can be done right in the menu of the camera anyway. 

If you are trying to use EOS Utility to download your images via the USB cable... don't.

Instead, get a Compact Flash card reader, pull the card from your camera and download it. You don't need to use any Canon software for this. Simply set up a folder in your computer to receive the image files, open up the memory card reader as if it were an additional drive, drill down to the folder containing the images, drag and drop to the folder on your computer to copy them there. Done. It takes longer to write down how to do it, than it takes to do it.

A card reader is much faster transfering image files, than the USB cable connected to the camera. You also don't have to worry about the camera's battery running down to far and interrupting the file tranfer (possibly corrupting images).

Hope this helps!

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Announcements